What's new

It's time to move to Netgear?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

How about that?

That's an ambiguous premise for discussion... are you asking, 'Is it time to move to Netgear?"; or, are you stating, 'It is time to move to Netgear.'?

Why Netgear?

OE

Reactions: a5m
That's an ambiguous premise for discussion... are you asking, 'Is it time to move to Netgear?"; or, are you stating, 'It is time to move to Netgear.'?

Why Netgear?

OE

Netgear is better than ASUS except GUI, functions. I have both ASUS and Netgear items.

If you like to move to a NETGEAR router, I (and many others) recommend the R7800 model. Stock firmware is much on the better side than other models and you have third party options like Voxel/OpenWrt/DD-WRT. For me personally, the R7800 has proven to be a trouble-free router (I run stock firmware). It also has one of the best WiFi scores as tested by this site

If you like to move to a NETGEAR router, I (and many others) recommend the R7800 model. Stock firmware is much on the better side than other models and you have third party options like Voxel/OpenWrt/DD-WRT. For me personally, the R7800 has proven to be a trouble-free router (I run stock firmware). It also has one of the best WiFi scores as tested by this site

I have a R7800.:)

Then why are you asking?
Aksing what? I use R7800 and other Netgear items for other purpose. A lot of users are having issues with new ASUS firmwares these days. A lot of users are struggling with new ASUS firmwares. The new ASUS firmwares creates new or repeated issues every time this year more than ever. It means ASUS releases the firmware without an in depth analysis. What can we expect to ASUS?
Maybe these or not?
1. ASUS router design is technically wrong.
2. ASUS rotuers are faulty products.
3. The firmwares are fundamentally faulty.
4. ASUS AiMesh is just a marketing tactic and fantasy.
5. ASUS firmware development team doesn't have enough ability.

I think Asus has a real issue with hardware. Doing a lot of reading and looking at reviews it seems most of there new routers have serious problems. Constant radio failures, booting problems and over heating. Makes one think many times before buying one.

Aksing what? I use R7800 and other Netgear items for other purpose. A lot of users are having issues with new ASUS firmwares these days. A lot of users are struggling with new ASUS firmwares. The new ASUS firmwares creates new or repeated issues every time this year more than ever. It means ASUS releases the firmware without an in depth analysis. What can we expect to ASUS?
Maybe these or not?

So in short, you're not asking a question since you already use a different product, you just want to troll and attract attention. Gotcha.

A lot of people here would differ with your opinion, and would also point out at issues with every single manufacturer out there. I can tell you for instance I've had a less than positive experience in the past with some of Netgear's products that would constantly crash due to overheating, prompting two of my customers to return the product, and switch to a different one.

It's like asking people for a recommended car brand. There will be people complaining about every single brand, claiming that specific brand is the worse there is. And you will find far more people saying the complete opposite, that this very brand is the best they've ever owned.

It's the difference between a personal opinion, and an enlightened technical assessment. Everyone can have an opinion. Only a few will have the required skills to provide a technical analysis.

One thing I like about Asus over Netgear is how they handle IPv6 ICMP.
ICMP is real important on IPv6 and Netgear routers filter this while Asus do not.
On the IPv6 Test the Netgear routers will show filtered for ICMPv6 while Asus routers will show reachable as it should.

Screenshot is through Asus router.

icmp.jpg

So in short, you're not asking a question since you already use a different product, you just want to troll and attract attention. Gotcha.

A lot of people here would differ with your opinion, and would also point out at issues with every single manufacturer out there. I can tell you for instance I've had a less than positive experience in the past with some of Netgear's products that would constantly crash due to overheating, prompting two of my customers to return the product, and switch to a different one.

It's like asking people for a recommended car brand. There will be people complaining about every single brand, claiming that specific brand is the worse there is. And you will find far more people saying the complete opposite, that this very brand is the best they've ever owned.

It's the difference between a personal opinion, and an enlightened technical assessment. Everyone can have an opinion. Only a few will have the required skills to provide a technical analysis.

Are you kidding me? Troll? How much money ASUS gives you? I can understand you if ASUS
gives you some bucks. A lof of people here have different opinion. Don't you know that? You know what? You defend ASUS every single time even if ASUS makes horrible issues something. Your own experience doesn't give any good information for many users except ASUS fan boys. Your logic is 'ASUS doesn't have any problem. That's your fault! User fault!'. You are acting like that always. I'm pretty sure you don't know about yourself. That's why you keep talking like that. Is this your Kingdom with your fanboys something? Do I have to say 'Wow~~~~~~~~~ASUS rocks~~~~~always rocks~~~~'?o_O Otherwise I will be executed right?

Last edited:
Maybe these or not?

Do you know what the sign of an unintelligent person is?

Someone who makes highly generalized blanket statements with zero evidence to back it up.

Similar to what you've done in points #1-5 above.

ASUS makes good routers. They run a bit too hot to my liking but I cool them with a USB fan. ASUS' firmware is one of the best stock firmware you can find, and RMerlin does it even better. I've had very few issues with my old AC66U which is no longer in commission

On my last Netgear router the firmware and support left much to be desired. The wifi would cut off intermittently and finally the radios burned out after a year. Although I was able to flash OpenWrt on it and can use it as a wired router.
Even though Asus has bungled the firmware releases recently and the performance on my router hasn't been too impressive it's working well enough for me. I'm hopeful the firmware gets sorted out going forward.

Wait....its time to move to Netgear? but you already are on Netgear? This shouldn't be a question any more than since you already did. Haha.

The nature of this forum is “problem oriented”. In the “old days” home routers were simple devices; you plugged them in and they just worked … virtually forever. (The ol’ Linksys WRT54G comes to mind : -)

As Internet Service Providers proliferated they noticed some large proportion of service calls circled around user owned equipment. In an effort to reduce trouble calls they began providing wireless routers as part of their service; preconfigured and readily accessible via the Internet by the ISP as needed.

What could go wrong? Well, for one, large companies don’t buy based on “value”, they buy based on price so you know you won’t be getting anything “top of line”. Many of us have seen the progression from “B” to “G” to “N” to “dual-band” to “AC”. ISPs don’t automatically upgrade you, many users don’t know to ask yet many of my friends are still “happy?” with their generation “G” routers.

And that’s the point; many to most users are happy. So who buys Netgear, Linksys, Asus, etc? Most likely someone who is already experiencing problems! Well, much like changing out an Ethernet cable doesn’t always fix your network problems, or replacing a battery doesn’t always fix your car problems, swapping out routers doesn’t always fix your home network problems. Thus ... our "problem oriented" forum ... grows.

When I first joined a “Linksys” forum I read about all the problems and thought to myself, “Why’d I buy a Linksys?” Then I joined this forum and started thinking the same about Netgear and Asus. The answer was right in front of me; many of us don’t write when we’re happy, we write when we have a problem. And why are so "many" with Asus?

· There are other forums for Netgear and Linksys.
· Netgear and Linksys are often carried at stores capable of offering help.
· Eric/Merlin has a cult-like following that draws Asus users from all over the world.​

So one “problem” with Asus, Linksys, Netgear, etc. is consumers buy them because they already have problems.

Another is that today's home routers are complicated with somewhat “needless?” features. When ISPs started including routers with their services other manufacturers started offering more features to regain market share; e.g., network printing, network access storage, etc.

(I think it’s time to drop network printing as virtually all printers come with network access now-a-days. And, with the exception of storing log files, don’t take network access storage serious. Just consider it a prototyping tool before you spend bucks on a real solution.)​

Another problem with home routers is they’re not just leading edge; they are “bleeding” edge. That said I do appreciate early adopters for they are the ones who help iron out all the kinks for novice users like me!

I stumbled into Asus by accident. I took a part time job some years back and they were having horrible network problems; short duration, long duration and intermittent as heck. ISP couldn’t fix it so, of course, it ... had ... to be ... our ... problem. Replaced the Netgear with the ISP’s router; problem persisted. Tried a Linksys; problem persisted. Lightning storm fried the Linksys so I replaced it with a dual-band Asus N66U.

The Asus didn’t fix it either but it gave me a new tool – traffic monitors! Between the real time chart and the 24 hour chart I was able correlate traffic with outages.

· Some outages correlated with high traffic.
· Other outages correlated with almost no traffic.​

It was a long shot but I wondered if I didn’t have two problems; one LAN traffic related and one ISP related? I upgraded to Merlin so I could see traffic by device. I loaded up something called “Ping Plotter” so I could see outages over time and correlate them with traffic patterns.

Now we only had 7 and then 15 Mbps at the time so traffic could be crippling. And I did see high utilization. New iPhones replicating. Chistmas carols (not the songs but the high res videos that accompanied them). Workers playing games and watching movies. QoS fixed that.

But problems persisted even during times of low utilization. ISP resisted. "Ping Plotter" flagged the 2nd router in on the ISP’s network. Problem fixed.

Home routers have strengths and they have weaknesses. I lean towards Asus largely because of the traffic monitor and because I’ve always got Merlin as a contingency plan.

Last edited:
How about that?

Use what makes you happy.

I wouldn't have a Netgear product in the house after the many bad experiences I had with their products and appalling support staff.

I once had a situation with an ISP that used Netgear router, they sent me one in the post , preconfigured by them for line testing, it failed to work,they sent another, it was dead, they sent a third and it wouldn't connect .......... that ISP no longer uses or supplies Netgear routers .

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!