What's new

Just Confirming

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jsarcone

Occasional Visitor
I want separate my 1 GB unmanaged switch and100MB unmanaged switches with a managed switch (gs108T). If I disable Flow Control on the managed switch would take care of the flow control issue even though the devices are connect to a unmanaged switch with flow control. Because the managed switch will not allow the flow control to work between the 1 GB and 100MB segments. Would this be correct?

Would you recomment the gs108t switch?

Thank you.

Joe

I'd leave flow control enabled on the GS108T. Flow control prevents "a fast sender from outrunning a slow receiver." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_control)

In your case, the fast senders are the devices on the 1 GB unmanaged switch and the slow receivers are the devices on the 100MB unmanaged switch.

I haven't used the GS108T switch, but I have had good luck with other Netgear switches. Plus, you can't go wrong with Netgear's lifetime warranty.

I used several of Netgear ProSafe switches and was happy about those. I did not use that model GS108T in particular, but I never had problems with this series and would highly recommend it.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!