What's new

Keep Asus 1900P or Upgrade to Netgear R7800?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Poseidon

I currently have the Asus RT1900P (Best Buy version of the 68U) using stock Asus FW.

I have 100MB down internet in a single floor unit. 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 2 Apple TVs and 1 game console connected.

Would it be worth it to upgrade to the Netgear R7800 or keep the Asus 1900P?

Advice needed. Thanks

Gee, is there a problem that you're trying to overcome before you throw a couple hundred at a "solution"?

The RT1900P "should" handle what you have just fine ...

Last edited:
I don't think any of those devices are more than two-stream units, so you're not going to get any more peak speed. And the 1900p should be able to get 100mbps on either 2.4ghz or 5ghz at close or medium range.

So yes, are you having any particular problems now?

Would it be worth it to upgrade to the Netgear R7800 or keep the Asus 1900P?

If the current one works fine - keep it - no need to upgrade with a 100Mbps WAN link...

Perhaps consider RMerlin's firmware...

Thanks for the input guys. There's nothing wrong with my 1900P router. Just wanted to see if it was time to upgrade.

Are the any advantages to using RMerlin's f/w as opposed to stock Asus f/w?

I'm a happy Merlin user. I'm also lazy. I simply ran stock until I came across a feature I needed (to fix a problem).

(I also switched to Asus some years ago for similar reasons. Their built-in traffic monitor gave me a leg up on trouble shooting. Netgear makes some great routers but, last I looked, they were still lacking that nifty little feature.)

Last edited:
i did that mistake presuming my R7000 might die after warranty so i sold it 1 month before and got r7800. First one died on arrival and on replacement i got the best device running fine what ever i throw at it.

Since r7000p is which i presume you are referring to. Should works fine. As long as you dont have say 20+ devices both wired and wireless demanding data from it.

If just in case you need to give a wireless extension for range try AP which obiviously need to be wired from R7000p which if feasibile can extend the wireless range very easily. Though the load will be still demanded by the ap to router. But its not 100%.

So you are good for now if wireless range is not concern here.

for best range always keep expanding the network with AP which is right solution. Some cant wire even single lines can go for repeater or powerline.

But if you can even run 1 wire from that you can expand to numerous possible connections. As not every device is demanding more than 100Mbps at a given time.

I upped my internet plan today to the 400/20 (previously 100/10).

Is the Asus 1900P still suitable for this or should I look into getting one of the newer routers?

Also are there any performance gains by switching to RMerlin's firmware as opposed to stock Asus FW?

Thanks

your clients are all 2 stream. they max out at around 400/450mbps under ideal conditions. 5ghz and close range. the 1900 is three steam and can handle that.

i recently got a 7800. i like it except for a firmware bug. but it won't really speed up my clients. maybe at mid close range where before I'd get 300mbps i now get 400mbps... but that's not really noticeable in my usage

incidentally the reason i bought it was because i wanted to use my old router as a access point in basement