What's new

Lan and WiFi conflict

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

srwtlc

New Around Here
I have an odd or out of the ordinary networking problem. I have a computer in my shop that runs a CNC machine. This computer has a wireless card that connects to my wireless router in the house for file sharing and internet. This computer also has a LAN port enabled that is connected to a wireless router (by a cable) that has no internet connection and is set to "On Demand" and is used only for a wireless remote (iPod Touch) that can control my CNC machine with an app.

The problem that I'm having is that when trying to access the internet, it's as if it doesn't really know where to go and will generally time out and not go anywhere. At other times it will go somewhere and then quit again. If I disable the LAN, essentially disabling my wireless remote functionality, it will work fine. I tried bridging the two, but then the wireless won't connect anymore.

Is there a way that I can direct all internet requests through the wireless card and still leave the LAN enabled so I can use the iPod Touch remote as needed? This is on a XP PC.

Thanks,
Scott

Why two wireless connections? I'm assuming the CNC application runs on your computer, which is connected to the CNC machine via a cable.

You should just be able to connect your iTouch app directly to the computer's IP address, with no need for the second wireless router. Just make sure you associate your iTouch with the wireless router in your house so that it's on the same network as your CNC computer.

The main reason for the second wireless router is that the iPod Touch can't pick up the signal reliably or at all from the house through the metal sided shop walls. There is also the issue of lag time (iPod to wireless router and back to the wireless card and then to the CNC program) and possible lost connection which can be somewhat dangerous.