What's new

Laptop wifi on the desktop

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yehuda

New Around Here
Hi,

This question has been bugging me for a while and I thought maybe Tim or someone else here can share an insight.

As it happens every second desktop I see goes wireless. This is usually done by USB adapters but when I need to buy I get a PCI card because I find these cards more reliable. Still, both types give me more trouble than they should.

I thought it would be best if I could use an adapter with an Intel chip inside it but can't find any. Today I saw this item on eBay: a mini pci-e to pci-e adapter for desktops which includes antenna attachments.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wireless-Mini-P...ultDomain_2&hash=item27b48145ca#ht_3037wt_911

I was wondering if I could pair it up with a cheap and decent module like the Intel WiFi Link 5100 card for some DIY fun and a reliable solution in the end. I could also replace the short antennas with this for better reception. Has anyone tried doing that?
________
ROLL BLUNTS

Last edited:
Funny, I never use PCI bus WiFi because the antenna placement is disadvantaged and/or needs lossy coax, etc.

Best is a WiFi client bridge. Connect to PC via ethernet. No drivers.

I'll be happy to try that out. What kind of equipment do you use? I see that Edimax routers are pretty flexible with how you can configure their wireless module (unlike D-Link for example) so you can take a router and set it up as a repeater or client bridge (or even both at the same time, if I understand the documentation correctly).

The BR-6226n router is quite cheap here but it is not officially certified so I'm a little wary. Then there's the good old EW-7206AP access point, and the BR-6424n router.

I don't mean to skimp on quality, just trying to come up with something I can recommend to common people, who would otherwise get the cheapest adapter they can buy.
________
Vape Info

Last edited:
I have only one Buffalo Fast G54 PCI with rubber ducky ANT sticking out of the back. That works great no issues on a desktop. Now with Windows 7 drivers load without using a CD or SD-card.

I'll be happy to try that out. What kind of equipment do you use? I see that Edimax routers are pretty flexible with how you can configure their wireless module (unlike D-Link for example) so you can take a router and set it up as a repeater or client bridge (or even both at the same time, if I understand the documentation correctly).

The BR-6226n router is quite cheap here but it is not officially certified so I'm a little wary. Then there's the good old EW-7206AP access point, and the BR-6424n router.

I don't mean to skimp on quality, just trying to come up with something I can recommend to common people, who would otherwise get the cheapest adapter they can buy.
For others, non-Geeks, a cheap thing is to buy a USB WiFi adapter dongle and a USB extension cord. Place the dongle in a somewhat better elevated location.

Yes, search back for some posts in this forum too

Yes, they work fine if your system is compatible. 5300/6300 require a semi modern intel chipset based motherboard such as 9xx or stuff after 2008 or so, atheros/broadcom chips don't seem to care as long as you have drivers.

The current minicard standard is nothing but pcie x1 slot combined with a single usb 2.0 port on an edge connector with power traces, though most cards only use one of those. Some laptops only bother tracing half, or will split a single card slot into two with one being active for pci-e and the other usb.

Almost all the wifi minicards only use the pci-e connection.

Almost all WWAN (evdo or gsm/hspa) cards only use the usb connection. Some of the early "usb" WWAN dongles actually had a minicard inside of them.

Most "simple" minicards (like bluetooth etc) are usb based.

The xx50 wimax cards will switch via software between using wifi on pci-e and wimax on usb, you need both buses connected to properly install it.

There are some cards that use the physical connector but are not electrically minicards, they are usually a proprietary power and SATA port for a SSD.

@tipstir

Thanks for the tip, however Buffalo products are not available in my area. I see this card uses a Broadcom controller. Never used one before. I know Broadcom is a major AMD partner (in laptop platform launches) so maybe their chips are better than the likes of Realtek and Ralink.

@stevech

Thanks for the tip regarding elevation. Re client bridge, I like the idea and will try doing it soon. Can anyone say if the Edimax BR-6226n will work reliably for this purpose?

@Aluminum

Wow, it looks like you know a lot about these adapters. You've answered my question so many thanks. In case others are interested in this subject, check out this website: http://www.bplus.com.tw/ It's a company selling ready kits for the desktop and their website looks pretty decent seeing how they have datasheets and say the kits are FCC certified.
________
VOLCANO CLASSIC OR DIGITAL

Last edited: