What's new

Late to the Squarespace domain cutover, need a new DDNS solution...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SolidSonicTH

Occasional Visitor
So I haven't really been paying much attention to this Google Domains/Squarespace cutover and now it caught up with me because one of my IPs changed and I didn't realize Squarespace doesn't have DDNS services so my attempt to VPN back to my residence was met with no joy. Since I was using my router's baked-in DDNS support for Google Domains now I guess I'm SOL until I comprise a new DDNS method.

What's the next step? I'm reading that Cloudflare has a good dynamic IP update system and I could move my domain registration there but it's not a turnkey solution inside the router like Google Domains was so what do I need to do in order to make that happen? I've seen talk of scripts that can facilitate the handshake but how does the router fit into that?

Use any of the free DDNS services supported by your router, and add a CNAME in your domain that points to the registered DDNS hostname. That way your authoritative nameservers can be with any provider that you want, without the need for it to also support DDNS.

@RMerlin while what you've described should work (for a basic domain at least), some SquareSpace domains migrated from Google Domains still don't work reliably this way - my own included. If you get into more complex use of the domains such as IPv6 and having multiple hosts, it just gets worse! Delegating/custom nameservers doesn't work either. And don't get me started on SquareSpace Award winning (in 2013 - 11 years ago) customer support.
At least it's amusing to set a CNAME and then use DNS Checker to watch the record bounce around!
I'm in the process of migrating my domains away from SquareSpace to a service I've been assured will work correctly.

After doing some research I think I'm just going to try to figure out how to make Cloudflare work. I need to migrate my domain but then I'm going to have to switch out my stock firmware on my GT-AX11000 Pro to the Merlin software so I can install a DDNS script.

If I get this working I guess I'll have to do the same at my other residence by installing the GNUton firmware to the ZenWifi AX there so I can route my subdomain.

I'm in the process of migrating my domains away from SquareSpace to a service I've been assured will work correctly.
Yeah, moving the domain elsewhere first is definitely a priority. My reply was only to cover the part where your new registrar/DNS host does not necessarily need to offer a DDNS API that's supported by your router, a CNAME might take care of that particular portion.

Personally I do that so I'm not tied to a specific DDNS provider. I learned that after my previous provider dropped their free plan, leading me to switch to a different DDNS provider. I implemented the CNAME at that time so I could again switch DDNS provider in the future if need be without having to change everything tied to a DDNS hostname.

he.net and dynv6.com have been my "gotos" for the Google Domains for years (and I would recommend them for their versatility), but something about how SquareSpace have messed things up even prevents these from working. As it stands I can't even get the "CNAME" redirection working on the more important of the two domains - CNAME works on the silly domain name, not the important one.
*I'm short on time but querying things there is a mismatch between the nameservers SquareSpace lists as being used and those returned when directly querying the domain names - at least the ICANN records show the domains as being in the process of being moved!