What's new

Let's Encrypt is now trusted by all major browsers... AiCloud SSL problems solved?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

m_listed

Occasional Visitor
This was a fairly big bit of news today, where Let's Encrypt, a free SSL certificate provider, is now trusted by major browsers and will start providing free SSL certification in November 2015. I know I've had lots of issues with AiCloud's annoying self-signed certificate "solution", especially when using mobile interfaces, so what are your thoughts on this? Will we be able to use these certificates somehow with xxxx.asuscomm.com AiCloud interfaces without paying hundreds of dollars for SSL certification?

If however aicloud allows you to access it with your own domain, instead of using xxxx.asuscomm.com, then you could create a cert for that domain you own.

If however aicloud allows you to access it with your own domain, instead of using xxxx.asuscomm.com, then you could create a cert for that domain you own.

Create a CNAME pointing to your DDNS. That's what I do here, so that way it also means that if I were to change DDNS provider, my FQDN remains unchanged.

I got my own domain used as ddns via freedns.afraid.org. It works pretty well, although it's not the simplest or cheapest solution obviously.

I pay ~$15 per year (with whois privacy) per domain. Usually a lot of places have promos for even less than that though. Not too bad of an expense I think. Plus you can already get free trusted certs, so not a huge expense from start to finish.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!