What's new

Linksys bridged mode question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

devincco

New Around Here
Hi All

New to the forums here and I need some assistance. I have Comcast for my ISP and right now have their Modem/Gateway/Router device that handles my Internet and phone. The device is in the basement (I know, not ideal but only place I can put is as I have no coax to my den, just CAT-5). The range on the device is fair but I know there is better out there with faster speeds. I was thinking of picking up a Linksys E4200 or EA4500, connect it in my den and set it in bridged mode. I would think this would help extend the range and speed of the network. Also, I'd like to have a quality router so if I change my ISP in the future, I already have the equipment on hand.

The one thing I was wondering is if the USB port on the router we become disabled if I put it into Bridged mode. Ideally I'd like to plug my printer into the USB port and be able to print from any of my devices. I have a mixed environment Mac & Windows computers and iOS devices. Would this be possible? Sorry if this seems basic, but I am limited in my knowledge and experience in Networking, router configuration, etc. Or if someone has any other suggestions of how I should set up my network, I am all ears.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

I don't recommend the two router models you mention. I recommend the WRT1900AC.

The WRT1900AC has two bridge modes currently and great wireless range especially in the 5ghz frequency.

I also don't recommend adding the WRT1900AC to your network using a bridge mode. From my experience bridge modes can cause network discovery issues. Instead I recommend Cascading the router into your network in a LAN to LAN configuration. That way you are guaranteed the best throughput with no loss of features.

Cascading or Connecting a Linksys router to another router

Thanks Chadster766 for the advice. The WRT1900AC is more than I was looking at spending. If I were to stick with the EA4500, would I be able to cascade the router and still use the USB port for a printer?

Sorry, again I am very new to routers, networking, etc.

Thanks Chadster766 for the advice. The WRT1900AC is more than I was looking at spending. If I were to stick with the EA4500, would I be able to cascade the router and still use the USB port for a printer?

Sorry, again I am very new to routers, networking, etc.

Yes the printer will work if it's compatible.

What about the EA6900?

I would stay away from linksys altogether. I have an ea6300v1 that they seem to have abandoned. Only one firmware release. Look at the frequency of updates on asus routers. For the price of an e4200 or ea4500 (e4200v2) you can get an asus rt-n56u.
Better yet, get a used rt-n66u and even if you stick it in the basement, chances are good you'll have wifi everywhere in your house.

Have your provider put your router/modem in bridge mode, hook your rt-n66u to it with the Ethernet and you are set.

Last edited: