What's new

Linksys WRT1900AC Unboxing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nice!

Come on Tim please review it as soon as possible on SNB

I saw one thing that I do not like, and was unexpected: a fan. Start at 1:30. Go from the "Y" on Linksys up to the black center or so, and you will see the fan. Just to note everything else seems cool about the router. Just disappointed that they could not do passive.

Last edited:
Hi,
My understanding is the fan is VS depending on running temp. Not going at full speed all the time. Noise level will be minimal and better be safe than suffering from overheating.
Just hope it is good quality fan with long life bearings. Also it may have some thing to do
being stackable case.

Also it may have some thing to do being stackable case.

In a video that I was watching, Belkin/Linksys has the intent on coming out with switches and other gear that can stack on the router. I agree and I am pretty sure that is the case.

The fan IS variable speed. In my testing so far it has not come on once.

Linksys has taken a "belt and suspenders/braces" approach to cooling. The heat sinking should handle the majority of use cases with the fan as backup.

Given the past history when people moded and added their fans, this is a good step forward from Linksys.

Think it's a good idea , my Asus ac 66 get really hot sometimes , was thinking of modding with a fan that would come on at 70c or so . Like the looks of the new linksys , last linksy was wrt 300 and a wrt 600 that I still use . Might give this new linkys a go .
The fan IS variable speed. In my testing so far it has not come on once.

Linksys has taken a "belt and suspenders/braces" approach to cooling. The heat sinking should handle the majority of use cases with the fan as backup.

I think the fan is a good idea. All of the Asus routers get hot and they are running 600 MHz processors. This with a 1.2 GHz processor I think needs one just in case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't want any more fans that fail too soon.

As I sit here listening to the fan in my wine refrig. making more and more noise. $$$$

Last edited:
I think the fan is a good idea. All of the Asus routers get hot and they are running 600 MHz processors. This with a 1.2 GHz processor I think needs one just in case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No the asus is just poorly built, they tried to squeeze it into a small box.

If you look at the Netgear R7000 2x1Ghz runs at around 60°C and only has a passive cooling. See:

http://www.myopenrouter.com/download/discussion/55445/NEWER-NIGHTHAWKS-UPDATED-COOLING-PLATE/

Yeah the Asus sounds like more of an issue of inadequet chasis than anything else. One of the things I kind of don't get though is, how are the CPUs in these things that bad? I know proper routing and wireless can take a boat load of processing power...but at the same time, I see plenty of routers that manage to do a fine job only using 4-6w of power compared to 12++w for a few of the higher end ones. That is more power than something like a core i3 ULV is likely to use for just the CPU (granted the radios, which don't use a lot of power, and the switch module, which also doesn't take a lot of power, also have to be powered from the budget).

I just wonder if some of this isn't using old ARM or other arch combined with older process nodes to make these things and or CPU arch not really optimized for routing purposes.