What's new

Linksys WRT320N or Linksys WRT610N

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chrais

New Around Here
Hi,

I recently decided following the failure of my DLINK DSL624T to change of router.

I know the models requested above in the title are not DSL modems but only router and that's the purpose. Things are moving now in belgium and with Cable/ADSL/VDSL, I don't want to be linked to a technology anymore and still have the good Wifi in house without having to change my router each time something changes.

I also have a gigabit switch from netgear GS108 which will be connected to the Linksys via gigabit ethernet link.

Which one would you personally take and for what reasons.

So between WRT320N & WRT610N, the only main difference I see is the fact that the 610 can use both band at the same time.

Prices are
WRT320N - 70 euros
WRT610N - 130 euros

Any remark or feedback would be more than appreciated...

Thanks
C.

I own the 610N and while it is certainly not a bad router if you are not going to use both bands at the same time either now or in the future you might want to save the money and get the 320.

However the Netgear WNDR3700 seems to be gaining a lot of popularity, I have been looking at that almost tempted to give it a try.

A bit of wrinkle, but I bought the wrt400 for the MIL. Was looking at the 320 but didn't like the 'running hot' comments. Set it up once and hasn't skipped a beat.

I own the 610N and while it is certainly not a bad router if you are not going to use both bands at the same time either now or in the future you might want to save the money and get the 320.

However the Netgear WNDR3700 seems to be gaining a lot of popularity, I have been looking at that almost tempted to give it a try.

Thanks for your reply. What is the real interest of having both band opering at the same time? I got someone from linksys who told me that the wifi N was available on both bands though?

Another point which can be interesting is the USB port to put an USB key, though I think it might not be needed as I already have a NAS but maybe for some points to put a small USB 16gb on the interface for punctual transfers...

For the netgear router, I think I will still go for the linksys as I'm more Cisco minded for working the whole day with Cisco products on a professional point but I will have a look at the reference you mention :)

I've been using a WRT320N for the last several weeks without any reboots or other problems at all using the stock Linksys firmware. The box does not run hot at all and I think those problems were with the 310N.

Simiultanious dual bands is something I was really interested in to divide my wireless network. In our home we have 5 people on the network plus the phone. I have three teens, my wife runs her business software via the internet and we have xbox's, ps3's etc all sharing this.

I was able to divide the network between the kids and the parents so to speak. All my problems have been solved by this. I too am a long time Linksys user, and never really considered another brand of wireless equipment when I was shopping for this gear. However now owning this for almost a year and having some issues with the wireless in the floor above the router I am considering a switch to the new netgear. Or I could try dd-wrt to see if I can not get this nailed down.

I spent 84 minutes on the phone to India arguing with the tech support for this router and basically the lady wanted to set my router to only run in G mode. Also she was blaming the clients because they are version 1 linksys adapters with no formal drivers for Win 7 for download.

To say that linksys support has gone downhill is an understatement.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!