What's new

Linksys WRT400N vs E3000?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KenOp

Occasional Visitor
I'm looking for a dual radio, dual band router, and have settled on these 2 choices. The WRT400N is about $40 less than the E3000. The main difference between the two is the E3000 has gigabit ports (the WRT400N does not). As I don't think that makes a difference in my use, is there any reason I'd want to spend $40 more for the E3000?

The wireless throughput and range tests here seem to favor the WRT400N slightly, despite the E3000 having 3 antennas per radio vs the WRT400N's 2.

So which should I get? :)

TIA,

Ken

Get E3000 you don't want to use 10/100 on 802.11n devices for through-put, otherwise there would be bottleneck and you'll be limited by the 100mbps (60mbps) instead of the 1000mbps (600mbps) For this router slightly over 200mbps per port. Whatever your needs are consider the E3000, since you're set on the two Cisco Linksys brands.

If you do a comparison with the Wireless Performance table and look carefully, you'll see the two are pretty evenly matched in wireless performance.

If you don't want Gigabit Ethernet or the USB port for (slowly) sharing a USB drive, then go for the WRT400N.

Thanks for the replies. They pretty well match my feeling -- 50-50. :)

I'm sharing just 4 computers (two hard-wired, two wireless), and most of the time, no more than 3 will be in use at any one time (with just shorts bursts of wired LAN-LAN activity -- most is wired or wireless LAN-WAN or WAN-LAN). So I'm pretty sure the gigabit ports won't have a noticeable effect, and from what I've read, routers with gigabit switches tend to run hotter (so theoretically they might have shorter lifespans).

I think I'll put the $40 towards a Centrino 6300 card.

Thanks!

Ken

Sounds like you understand the tradeoffs. Gigabit Ethernet is most helpful for heavy LAN-to-LAN traffic, especially large file transfers.

Most N routers don't provide enough bandwidth under normal use, i.e. clients and router not within 10 feet of each other, to max out a 100 Mbps LAN port.

Gig router helps those fast 100mbps ports give better throughput more true speeds than 10/100 would be. Wireless less bottleneck. As for the heat like TEW-673GRU they have ceramic heatsink for the Realtek Gig Controller Chip, so that will help with heat. ESR-9850 uses the same Realtek Gig Controller Chip that doesn't have any heatsink. Anway you made your choice.

Gig router helps those fast 100mbps ports give better throughput more true speeds than 10/100 would be.
Huh? LAN to LAN throughput depends on the switch only. Nothing to do with the processor.

i need some help with my WRT400N

i have the WRT400N wireless router its great i have no lag when im playing games on my xbox360 BUT i cant play with all my friends :( witch has something to do with my NAT rating or something like that(im not 100% sure).Where do i go on the computer(to edit my router settings) to change my NAT rating or what ever i need to change so that i can play/connect to ALL players on XBOXLIVE. Any information u have may help Thank you :cool:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!