What's new

Linksys WRT54g - Magic Packets

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

paulbasel

Occasional Visitor
I have a Linksys WRT54G acting as an access point on the ground floor of my home. It is connected to the main router on the top floor via a TP-Link Powerline connection.

The Powerline has a sleep mode and once in that mode the Linksys cannot wake it up. According to TP-Link support, "If the Router doesnt support so called "Magic Packets" you have the problem you describe.." Unplugging the Linksys and plugging it back in wakes up the Powerline adaptor until the next time it goes into sleep mode. This is a royal pain in the backsides.

I believe that the 54g doesn't support magic packets. Is there a way of configuring it so it does. I have looked at some solutions but they seem very complex.

If there is no way to configure it then what current routers support magic packets. I just want an inexpensive "n" 300 bps router that I can configure as an access point but I want to make sure it has this capability.

Paul

I have a WRT54G running Tomato firmware connected to a Zyxel Powerline Ethernet device, similar to yours.

As long as I have the router powered on, the Powerline module doesn't go to sleep. If the router is powered off or disconnected, the powerline module does go to sleep.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!