What's new

Linksys WRT610n or Netgear WNDR3700

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zorbix

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

I'm about to buy a new router, but can't really figure out which one would be the best for me. I'm getting a 120Mbit connection and can unfortunately only connect wireless. I've got a recent Macbook Pro which has an N (dual band) receiver.
Having read quite some articles here, I'm pretty sure I won't be getting 120Mbit in any way (wireless). Obviously, I do want to get as high as possible performance. I'm about 5 meter from the router, with 2 walls between the router and me.
I was having doubts between the Linksys WRT610n and the Netgear WNDR3700. Are these indeed the best options, or is there another router that performs better/equally when connected wireless? If not, which of the two do you think would be the better choice for me?
I don't really care much about the price, as long as it stays under €150,-. I can get the two I mentioned for €129,- and €104,- respectively.

Thanks in advance!

They are both good products, but they won't deliver 120 Mbps with your setup.

The WNDR3700 did better then the WRT610N in our wireless tests. Check the Wireless Charts.

Is there any wireless way (router) with which I would get 120Mbit? If not, what do you think would be the speed I'd get with one of these in a range of about 5 meters, with two walls to pass through?

Some folks claim to have gotten speeds > 100 Mbps with N routers. But highest I've ever measured is 111 Mbps running downlink with 40 MHz bandwidth with a D-Link DIR-685. But it's not a router that I'd recommend.

Your speeds will probably be more like 40 - 60 Mbps and will probably vary a lot.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online

Members online