What's new

Linux Hates My Asus RT-N66R

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

joeslide

New Around Here
I can download ISOs on my Nexus 10 Android Tablet with no issues, but not on Linux laptop. Apt-get is a real pain if I've not updated in a while. The router acts like configuration changes have been made and it needs to reset the connection. Chrome/Firefox produces the same problems. Running Merlin 374.42. Any help would be appreciated.

I seem to remember having some issues like that with some linux boxes. (set as static IP's) I think the solution was to set the linux box to do DHCP, but force a static IP from the router in the manually assigned section.

If that doesn't work, I'm not sure. Not my area of expertise.

odd. with tomato RAF running on my rt-ac66u and ubuntu LTS ( i believe thats what i installed, im letting my brother use it) on my toshiba laptop everything works great

Been using my RT-N66U with Linux Mint 16 and now 17 since I got the router...no problems. You might have some configurations problems...try resetting the router to factory defaults. You probably should start with DHCP enabled. I doubt that your Merlin firmware has any problems like that but I have been using Tomato by Shibby for some time with no problems.

All my PCs (6) multi-boot and each has several Linux distros on them. No probs here with N66U and Merlin's 374.43

Is the problem when connected wired or wireless? What version of the kernel are running?

I have a 4 Linux systems on my AC68 (realizing this is not the AC66 you have) with no problems, via a combination of wired and wireless. One laptop, with an ath9k saw some wireless issues in the past (with a different router) but setting driver options solved it (nohwcrypt or something like that) - that was a couple of years ago though and may be fixed in newer kernel/drivers. If you aren't on a recent kernel, try that - 3.13 is solid, 3.14 should be too.

Hi,
+1. Latest Ubuntu and Mint. No problem with any router so far.
Most annoying is making the drivers run on Linux. Any how, router
f/w is Linux, Eh?

Hi,
+1. Latest Ubuntu and Mint. No problem with any router so far.
Most annoying is making the drivers run on Linux. Any how, router
f/w is Linux, Eh?

Not sure why you need any drivers to run on Linux...my RT-N66U just runs. I added no drivers to Linux at all. Using Mint 16 and 17 and mythbuntu...it just is not an issue.

Last edited:
Err, well. what I meant was device drivers of all sorts running Linux OS in general. Nothing to do with router.
de VE6CGX