What's new

Local domain queries are still forwarded to upstream DNS even though the setting is No

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

loveleeyoungae

Regular Contributor
I've accidentally found out that this setting seems to be ignored. I set:

Forward local domain queries to upstream DNS: No

But querying for local hosts/IPs in the router itself, it still forwards those queries to upstream DNS:
Code:
admin@RT-AC68U-9520:/tmp/home/root# nslookup dc
Server:    8.8.8.8
Address 1: 8.8.8.8 dns.google

nslookup: can't resolve 'dc'

admin@RT-AC68U-9520:/tmp/home/root# nslookup dc.home.lan

nslookup: can't resolve 'dc.home.lan'

admin@RT-AC68U-9520:/tmp/home/root# nslookup 192.168.7.11

Name:      192.168.7.11
Address 1: 192.168.7.11

admin@RT-AC68U-9520:/tmp/home/root# nslookup dc 192.168.7.1
Server:    192.168.7.1
Address 1: 192.168.7.1 RT-AC68U-9520.home.lan

Name:      dc
Address 1: 192.168.7.11 DC.home.lan

May it be some bug in the firmware or is it more or less due to some conflict in the configurations?

My current setup (screenshots below):
192.168.7.110: a Pi running Adguard Home + unbound acts as DNS server, all AGH private+reverse DNS settings are enabled and set to forward to router
192.168.7.1: the AC68U router acts as normal router except being DNS server:
+ LAN DHCP page: only Pi's IP is set as DNS Server 1; doesn't advertise router's IP
+ WAN: No to all "WAN DNS Setting"
+ DNS Filtering is disabled (just let those DNS hard-coded devices go as they want)

1720330417147.png

1720330397023.png

1720330564502.png

1720330482707.png

Last edited:
That setting only applies to LAN clients, not the router itself. For the router set Tools - Other Settings > Wan: Use local caching DNS server as system resolver = Yes.

That setting only applies to LAN clients, not the router itself. For the router set Tools - Other Settings > Wan: Use local caching DNS server as system resolver = Yes.

Didn’t someone say “Use local caching DNS server as system resolver = Yes” is being removed in codebase 3006? I have a faint recollection of that.

My bookmark memory doesn’t recall the content of the conversation or who.. so I could be misremembering something else.

Didn’t someone say “Use local caching DNS server as system resolver = Yes” is being removed in codebase 3006? I have a faint recollection of that.

My bookmark memory doesn’t recall the content of the conversation or who.. so I could be misremembering something else.
Yes. RMerlin said that. But that wouldn't apply to the OP's RT-AC68U.

Yes. RMerlin said that. But that wouldn't apply to the OP's RT-AC68U.

Fair point. Was just a stray thought that was triggered in my mind. Thanks for reaffirming.

Thank you! Didn't know about that little but important difference in settings for clients vs router. Though changing the setting you mentioned didn't help with diagnosing my DNS loop issue, it cleared my doubt :)

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!