What's new

Looking for a solid, speedy wireless router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ashG

Occasional Visitor
My WNDR3700 decided to go terminal on me last night. Flashing DDWRT softbricked the thing and I had to TFTP back to stock. Now, with settings (manually) put right back where they were previously some of my devices will no longer connect successfully. The important stuff works but I'm not sure for how long.

A solid wireless router is a necessity for us - My wife runs the web side of her antiques business from home (lots of uploading and transferring files from laptop to desktop) and I run a computer repair bench connected to the LAN for updating clients' computers. I'm also a heavy MMO gamer and do so frequently from either my desktop or laptop.

-wired-> Desktop computer, Vonage adapter, computer test/repair bench, soon will be running a line under the floor to our DirecTV box
-wireless-> 2 laptops, iPad 2, Android phone (soon to be 2), Logitech Revue

While I've been "authorized" to buy something that will work well, I've been asked to stay under the $200 mark unless I can make a case as to why I need to spend more. Our house isn't that large and is only one floor. The router will be located fairly centrally and signal will have to travel through two walls and a fridge (about 40 feet total) to make it to the living room where we do most of our wireless work.

Thanks for the advice. I look forward to hearing what you recommend.

You will likely get a lot of personal opinions here. The reality though is that the WNDR3700 is a solid router especially if you kept the OEM firmware updated. I have a WNDR3700V2 and am using it as an access point. I have zero trouble. Then again I've read a few reports of users trying to use the V2 as a full router and experiencing odd issues. I could care less since I'm only interested it using it as an AP.

Some might tell you to look at the WNDR4000 and others may direct you towards the Linksys E4200. One or the other may work OK for you. You can easily find as many people annoyed/happy with each model.

Maybe consider getting a wired router/gateway and a separate wifi router and use it in AP mode. Or pony up some more $$ and consider an enterprise solution. For enterprise class I would first look at the Ruckus 7363 access point. Its an access point only and does not include some of the features consumer routers do. However if you have the right wired gear along with it, it won't matter. http://www.ruckuswireless.com/products/zoneflex-indoor/7300-series

The reality though is that the WNDR3700 is a solid router especially if you kept the OEM firmware updated.

I was an early adopter with the 3700. The two others I have installed for clients are rock solid. They're also v2. In digging through forums during my DDWRT flash hell I found that my v1 batch (can't remember which off the top of my head) was notorious for wireless failure and not accepting DDWRT flashes.

I got DD-WRT installed finally. Yay! Had to tweak the crap out of the Advanced Settings to get any coverage out of the radios, but it's *close* to what it used to be. Ergh, close. I'm still not happy.

I've had a possibly hair-brained idea. I'm now considering picking up a Ubiquiti UniFi module and just turning off the wireless radios on my 3700. I've got a church-wide wifi rollout coming next spring, and this will give me the perfect opportunity to check out the system and get to know it well enough to save time configuring it when I'm working with eight or nine at once.

Am I crazy, or could this work?