What's new

Looking for a stable router for home network at 200mbps

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NicolasRage

New Around Here
Hi, I'm looking to build a home network in a small apartment in a couple of months. I am looking for a stable router, to be used primarily connected to a desktop PC. My 'critical' internet application is competitive gaming, and I've looked into routers with fancy applications like VPN support to divert game traffic, such as the AC88U from ASUS. As an aside, does anyone know how these function, and can I set up my own router to function the same way without paying the "gamer premium"? I'm just looking for a router that will stay up without needing to be reboot, and offer solid performance on the 200/10 plan I'm going to be getting.

I've read very positive things online about the ASUS family of routers, as well as the Edge Router X from UBNT, although I'm a little intimidated by the CL level familiarity that seems necessary to work with those products. Youtube is a resource I could always use, but then I'll need internet to configure my router.

I have some limited wireless needs, and the apartment building is fairly dense, although the 5ghz should be pretty clean per unit as the walls between each unit are fire brick. I personally have an older laptop and phone that I use pretty infrequently, so wireless is an afterthought to me. Therefore, I've considered an AC1200 class device, to keep cost down some since my wireless needs are so limited.

In a nutshell, I need a router with a high degree of reliability and performance over ethernet prioritized. Does anyone have any suggestions where I might start looking?

A EdgeRouter X or EdgeRouter SFP with a Ubiquiti Unifi AP AC LR or Ubiquiti Unifi AP AC PRO its a good start.

Any Asus Router from AC68U onwards is a perfect fit - and adding Merlin's Firmware makes it even better! :rolleyes: