What's new

Looking for Building-to-building Solution

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WS Lewis

New Around Here
I could use a steer for this project. I'm trying to get a Wi-Fi signal from outbuilding to house, about 200 feet. Construction on both is wood/frame. The existing router is a Linksys WRT 54G (but could conceivably be upgraded, being rather old).

I have a smallish budget to work with, but in looking about I see nothing which looks like a drop-dead solution. Compounding my concern is that some of the products on the web have a bit of "snake oil" with them, and inconsistent/spotty product reviews.

I'm trying to keep this at a simple technical level, as I am not an antenna guru.

Any suggestions on where to start? Thanks to all in advance.

PS: Ethernet is not entirely out of the question, but is seen as a last resort.

If Ethernet is an option, the other choices will always be worse.

Do it right, do it once. Use Ethernet instead and know what you'll have in the end. The best connection you possibly can.

@WS Lewis - search around the forums - this has been asked and answered quite a bit, and there's lots of great insight on how to accomplish what you're looking to do...

And yes, what you're looking to do is entirely possible, but there are many ways that cat can be skinned...