What's new

Looking for help picking out a new router.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

anarchyx914

New Around Here
Hello all,

I have read alot of reviews on this site, and have found it very informative. I am in a debate between a few routers, and trying to get the best bang for my buck. The routers I am considering are below:

- E3000 for $55
- E4200 for $109
- Asus RT-N56u for $129

I currently am running a Dlink DIR-655, and it isnt cutting it for h264 media streaming. It frequently sputters and stops to buffer for long periods of time over the network. My router is running a mixed g/n mode (I know this decreases performance) to allow my girlfriend to use her internal wifi on her laptop. I should really just get her a n-USB card.

Anyways, for my network, I have 2 primary PC's connected to it (mine -- which is all the bandwidth, and hers which she just uses for facebook, etc.). I also have several mobile phones, ipods, appletvs, etc connected, but usually dont use them when I am on my main PC.

So after my research, I gathered that the E4200 and Asus RT-N56u run 3x3 MIMO. I wanted to know how much of a real-world performance boost is this over the E3000 2x3 mimo (I think this is what the E3000 has).

My personal wifi card in my laptop supports 3x3 mimo, and I wanted to know if the speed increase is worth it for the e4200 or asus router. I am leaning towards the linksys routers simply so I can run DDWRT on them.

So to recap what I need in a router:

• Fast Wireless N Performance
  • Fast Streaming of HD Content (H264)
  • QoS For multiple devices

After all the reading on this site I cannot decide between those 3 routers. The thing that is making the decision so hard is the E3000 priced at only $55. Seems like a great deal.

Any input you have is appreciated!

Thanks! :)

Three-stream N will provide higher throughput only with strong signals and only when used with three-stream capable wireless clients. Of the three routers you are considering, only the E4200 supports three-stream N on the 5 GHz band only.

You can use the Router Finder to find three-stream routers. Then use the wireless benchmarks in the Router Charts to compare performance.