What's new

Looking for new router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RebelTide

New Around Here
As the title states I currently am looking for a new router. I have an ASUS DT-AXE7800. I've had some weird things go on with it but my main thing is the lack of more advanced or open source firmware support. I would like to try and stay in the ASUS eco system but if not that's fine as well. I'm looking for something with a more advanced interface with support for VPNs as well.

As the title states I currently am looking for a new router. I have an ASUS DT-AXE7800. I've had some weird things go on with it but my main thing is the lack of more advanced or open source firmware support. I would like to try and stay in the ASUS eco system but if not that's fine as well. I'm looking for something with a more advanced interface with support for VPNs as well.
Take a look in the merlin section of the Asus forum on here. Support for loads of Asus routers, source code available, though it utilises some closed source code. Supports multiple VPN types in both client and server mode. Very stable, updated regularly. I've been running it for several years on various iterations of Asus hardware.

Take a look in the merlin section of the Asus forum on here. Support for loads of Asus routers, source code available, though it utilises some closed source code. Supports multiple VPN types in both client and server mode. Very stable, updated regularly. I've been running it for several years on various iterations of Asus hardware.
I'll take a look. I've seen a few things but I'm looking for a better wireless experience, the 6E band is extremely infuriating on this and has no practical use as our internet never touches those speeds.

Have you done a wireless strength ( dB plot, not "bars") survey and plot to see where you may have low strength ( <-67 dB ) with an app like Apple's airport utility ?

Are you using any of the AiProtection features ?
AutoChannel select ?
SmartConnect ?
What are your channel widths set at for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz ?

Have you done a wireless strength ( dB plot, not "bars") survey and plot to see where you may have low strength ( <-67 dB ) with an app like Apple's airport utility ?

Are you using any of the AiProtection features ?
AutoChannel select ?
SmartConnect ?
What are your channel widths set at for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz ?
Have not had a chance to use that but I did us inSSIDer to make recommended changes.

AiProtection: On
Auto Control 2.4Ghz: No (11)
Auto Control 5 and 6Ghz: Yes
Channel Width 2.4Ghz: 20Mhz
Channel Width on 5GHz and 6Ghz: 20/40/80/160

Restrict your 5 and 6 GHz channels to 80. See if that takes care of your dropouts.
Put your 5 & 6 on a fixed, non dfs , channel instead of auto. That also can affect dropouts.

You should be able to get away with 160MHz channel bandwidth in the 6GHz band, but I concur with @degrub that it's a bad idea in 5GHz. There is no 5GHz 160MHz channel that doesn't overlap DFS frequencies, and you might be seeing DFS dropouts. (Have you looked into the router's log to see if it logs anything interesting during the problems? Any bleats about radar would confirm the DFS-dropout theory.)

I'm looking for something with a more advanced interface with support for VPNs as well.

Take a look at GL.iNet GL-MT6000:

Runs OpenWrt base firmware, can run vanilla OpenWrt. Regular price $160, comes on sale from time to time. Amazon US - $135 right now.

Last edited:
Thank you all I changed those settings. Are there any other settings or tips you have for this router? I came from NETGEAR which was overall pretty limiting unless you DD wrt was put on it.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!