What's new

Looking for Router Purchase Advice - $100-130 range

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

robromo1023

New Around Here
Hey guys!

This site has been invaluable to pointing me towards the right routers to look at.

My current router has been SO unreliable, and drops connection almost daily. It is the Netgear WRD4700 (it can take a full size HDD). I checked it Amazon, and alas mediocre reviews all across the board.

I then saw routers like the TPLink Archer Series and ASUS AC series which have incredible reviews so I'm hooked.

I am looking for the best router for my purposes - but need some help!

Some things:
- My ISP is Cox. Our package is 50 down.
- I want a top tier router - but I don't need a super super power user type router. I don't care about VPN or download servers - basically the excess features of a Nigthawk.
- I do care about great speeds, RELIABILITY, not dropping signal - and since my old router had normal 2.4 and the extra 5ghz network - I would like both of them, and/or guest network would be cool but not needed!

Basically, the best router from a performance and intermediate user-wise, without all of the frills of the others!

my budget is around 100 and I Don't mind going up to 130ish. I just cant stand have a router drop and needed to reset it all the time.

I found the Archer C7. And I'm considering that cause I hear great things about it, but what about the C9 - only 25 bucks more - seems to have better specs - but I don't hear about it as much? Is it as reliable and as raved about as the C7? I'll pay 25 extra if its worth it (since its only 125/130)

Also, the Asus AC66u seems to be the direct competitor to the Archer C7/C8/C9 correct?

Thus - can anyone recommend the C7 vs C9 vs Asus Ac66?

Or any others that I'm missing?

If I didn't provide enough info to help you out - please let me know!

Some things:
- I want a top tier router - but I don't need a super super power user type router. I don't care about VPN or download servers - basically the excess features of a Nigthawk.
- I do care about great speeds, RELIABILITY, not dropping signal - and since my old router had normal 2.4 and the extra 5ghz network - I would like both of them, and/or guest network would be cool but not needed!

[...]

my budget is around 100 and I Don't mind going up to 130ish. I just cant stand have a router drop and needed to reset it all the time.
You can join the discussion here - same price range, same choices, same answer (from me)... :rolleyes:

PS.: Top tier is not working with low budget - see my footer: Top tier AC87U vs. cheap N66U! ;)