What's new

Looking for WiFi Bridge

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tom28

New Around Here
Hello everyone.

I host a FlightRadar24.com aircraft ADB-S receiver that, due to limited antenna cable length, needs to live in a remote part of my home. The receiver only has an ethernet port on it for network connectivity. Dropping Cat6 to that room is unrealistic.

Recently, my trusted and horribly old Linksys WGA600N that I had been using as a bridge - died. Last night, as a matter of fact. No idea why but a huge 2 hour thunderstorm may have had something to do with it.

Anyway, life goes on.

Currently, my access point is a Cisco Aironet 1252. Eventually, I'm going to upgrade it to a Rukus r710 or something Cisco puts out with 802.11ac Wave2.

As such, I'd like to find a WiFi bridge that supports 802.11ac. I've seen the Linksys AC1200 MAX Wi-Fi Range Extender (RE6500-FFP). It doesn't seem to get a lot of good reviews.

Found the Asus EA-AC87. But it doesn't look like it has been released yet.

Can anyone recommend a bridge to use with the FlightRadar 24 receiver? I'd even be open to exploring a router that can get converted into a bridge if necessary so long as it supports 802.11ac in client mode.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Linksys still offers the WUMC710 which might do the trick to connect your ADB-S receiver... it's pretty reasonable at $35 USD on the Amazon...

http://www.linksys.com/no/p/P-WUMC710/

Buffalo used to offer some WiFi to Ethernet bridges, but seems like they've exited that business...

NETGEAR EX6150 AC1200 is the highest ranked extender in that class we've tested.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/rankers/wireless-extender/ranking/AC1200/rev2/104

I'd also consider AV2 powerline.

Howdy. Thanks for the reply. I don't see where the Netgear can act as a bridge. Am I missing something?

Powerline isn't an option. I'm a ham radio operator and don't want the noise. And I don't want it interfering with the solar array monitoring system on the roof.

I briefly considered putting a splitter on the coax line in the next room and grabbing a MoCA adapter since I am running a MoCA network for the Tivo stuff.

Powerline isn't an option. I'm a ham radio operator and don't want the noise. And I don't want it interfering with the solar array monitoring system on the roof.
I doubt if it would do either, but that's your choice to make.

The Ethernet port passes traffic to/from the base router in extender mode. When used as an AP, the port is used to connect to the network.