What's new

Looking into new options for home, thinking Nighthawk.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

donguason

New Around Here
Hello forums, I was hoping I could trouble you for some guidance.

About 8 months ago I switch my cable back to Cox here in my area from Direct TV. I have always used Cox for high speed internet and Direct Tv for TV services. I was running a Surfboard modem and a NetGear router and everything was just fine. When we switched to Cox for TV, Cox "upgraded'' us to a Modem/Router combo and the internet has been horrible.

I take it back, it only horrible when playing certain games. We have 2 Xbox ones for gaming (one hooked up wireless and one hard wired), a PS4 thats used mostly for Youtube and Netflix (wirless setup), a PC(wirless set up) and 4 cell phones all connected to Wifi. NOTE not all devices are running at the same time, mostly just 1 xbox, the PC and the phones at a time.

Cox has replaced the Modem/Router Combo x2 (NetGear C6300) and I still experience Lag on the Xboxs, even the one that is connected a ft away via Ethernet.

They have done speed test and everything is in working order. I have done port forwarding and still no luck.

I am thinking that its the Modem/Router Combo that is causing the issues and I want to invest in a new router and modem.

As far as modems go, I think the Arriss TG2472 Surfboard will do the job. Cox will be providing that modem for free due to the trouble. I just need a proper Router to handle everything. I have been told that the NightHawk Series would get the job done (hopefully) but I figured I would reach out to the forums before I go buy the most expensive one.

Any recommendations on what I should be looking for would be great. I am also going to be dumping Cox TV to go back to Direct Tv as they are just more competitive in price. Cox is going to be introducing their GIGABLAST internet here soon and and I dont know which modems will work but if you have any recommendations on modems as well, that would be great.

Thanks,
Don

If the Cox TV service is digital, it could be they have incorrectly provisioned bandwidth allocation.

Do you have "horrible" internet if no TV is being watched and no programs being recorded (assuming you have DVR service).

We don't review modems, so have no recommendations.

make sure the that DirectTV stuff is disconnected and powered down... trace the coax down from the dish, and disconnect it at the demarc... also you might have DirecTV DECA boxes that might be connected and still powered up, and they will generate LAN traffic on the ethernet side of them - just unplug power to them...

DirecTV traffic will interfere with DOCSIS on the cable modem...

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!