What's new

Looking to replace RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MDFDoom

Occasional Visitor
Longtime lurker, so thanks to everyone for the great advice over the years. So my situation is as follows:

- 3-story house, with detached garage
- Base station is an ET12 (in basement)
- 1 ET12 node on the 2nd floor office
- 1 RT-AC86U node on the first floor closest to the garage and backyard (where cameras are).

I don't have the ability to do a wired backhaul. It's all wireless. Old house and wiring at this time isn't possible.
I have a lot of IoT type items around the house (nest cameras, protects, myQ garage, lights etc) and work from home over VPN.
My internet is a 1Gbps up and down fibre.

From time to time my cameras will complain about Wi-Fi, so I'm wondering if there is a suitable replacement, maybe for the RT-AC86U?
It is an older model and maybe time to upgrade to match the ET12s?

Would something like an RT-AXE7800 work with its 6GHz backhaul band?
The 6GHz band seem to work pretty good between the ET12's and I can get close to 900Mbps between my office and the base station.

Open to suggestion.
Thanks in advance!

Should have mentioned, also looking at the GT-AXE16000 or GT-AXE11000 as the base station, but might be overkill?

Last edited:
Sorry, but why not just get another ET12? Those are obviously built to work well with each other using AiMesh.

It is a good question. I can't find them as a single item. They only sell them in Canada from what I can see as a 2 pack.
Wow, that's bizarre, but explains why.

The RT-AXE7800 might not be a good choice, as it's only 2x2 on the 6 GHz band, with your ET12's being 4x4.

That said, the 6 GHz band doesn't have good wall penetration, so you might end up having to use the 5 GHz band as backhaul between floors.

Price wise, the ones I mentioned above:
  • RT-AXE7800 - 299.99
  • GT-AXE11000 - 399.99
  • GT-AXE16000- 649.99

Wow, that's bizarre, but explains why.

The RT-AXE7800 might not be a good choice, as it's only 2x2 on the 6 GHz band, with your ET12's being 4x4.

That said, the 6 GHz band doesn't have good wall penetration, so you might end up having to use the 5 GHz band as backhaul between floors.
I'm not sure if it is my setup, but my office gets close to 1Gbps between the 2 ET12 nodes when running a speed test. Maybe the 6Ghz is ok for my situation?

I'm not sure if it is my setup, but my office gets close to 1Gbps between the 2 ET12 nodes when running a speed test. Maybe the 6Ghz is ok for my situation?
Are you sure you're using the 6 GHz band? As normally you can't penetrate more than a wall before the performance drops significantly.
I can't really find anyone that has tested the ET12 not having line of sight between the two units using the 6 GHz band as wireless backhaul, which is why I'm asking.

I believe so. It is the uplink, right? I just did a speed test from my computer which is wired to the office node, and it was getting: 936.38 Down 320.00 Up

Screenshot from 2024-07-13 09-45-33(1).png

I believe so. It is the uplink, right? I just did a speed test from my computer which is wired to the office node, and it was getting: 936.38 Down 320.00 Up

View attachment 60130
Ok, quite surprising it works as well as it does, but you're clearly taking a big hit in terms of the upload speed. Might be worth playing a bit with the positioning of the two units to try and get better performance.

Between the GT-AXE11000 and GT-AXE16000 would you have any thoughts?
That I wouldn't waste my money on the more expensive model, as the only thing you really gain is that second 5 GHz radio. Yes, the more expensive model has a slightly better SoC and more RAM, but unless you have need for the 10 Gbps ports, I don't see it being worth the extra money. I'm sure others here have different opinions in the matter though.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how the setup above works. It can't have dedicated wireless backhaul with RT-AC86U in the mix - it doesn't have 6GHz radio. AiMesh page is reporting 6GHz uplink between ZenWiFi Pro ET12, but RT-AC86U must be connected to the 5GHz radio. Something is wrong in reporting or this AiMesh system works in a strange mixed mode with one dedicated and one shared backhaul.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!