What's new

Looking to upgrade from WRT54G to the ASUS RT-AC66U. Guidance Needed, Please.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Eldram

Regular Contributor
Hi SNB Forum! My first time posting but I've been a lurker of the site for a year or so, trying to educate myself on wireless technology. I'm not 100% grasping everything but I think I've learned a lot. And now the time has come for me to get my butt in gear and leave behind my tried and true Linksys WRT54G that I've used for over a decade because my household simply has far too many wireless clients for it to manage (10 and counting). After doing my homework, I've decided on the ASUS RT-AC66U but now I must admit, I'm getting cold feet. It's rather pricey, and while I am interested in getting something that with be future proofed, as of writing I do not have any wireless AC clients to benefit from it. Out of all the devices I have, only two are legacy wireless b/g that I use on a regular basis, specifically for gaming and streaming (my Playstation 3 and Nintendo 3DS with the former also being used for streaming Netflix, Amazon Prime etc. in addition to gaming).

I learned that N and G devices will connect at slower speeds if both are active simultaneously but what does that mean? If I'm streaming a movie on my PS3, will my desktop's speed decrease the entire time I'm watching it? Will my other N devices in the household suffer as a result? For example if my mom is streaming a video on YouTube on her desktop (an N device) will she encounter hiccups and buffering issues while I'm on my PS3?

Also, is the RT-AC66U a good choice for my needs? The site's review of it said that it isn't worth it compared to the Dark Night so should I get that one instead?

My ISP provides me with a 50/25 Mbps D/U speeds, if that helps at all. If you guys need any elucidation on my part please let me know. And most of all, thank you for any help you can afford me! Looking forward to learning a lot here.