What's new

Low Internet speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zedoz

Occasional Visitor
Hi
Ive got the RT-AC88U router, even thought its quite old now Ive never has any issues until now

Ive upgraded my internet plan to 1Gbps.

Ive got the lastest firmware installed 386.13

Not sure why but when I do an internet speed test, it caps at around 540Mbps. I tried a different router to test and get full speed at 1Gbps

Before I buy a new router is there some setting on the RT-AC88U that can cap speed?

Thanks

By default, many of these routers enable NAT acceleration. But if you enable certain other features (QoS, bandwidth limiters, etc.), they will *silently* disable it, and your throughput will likely suffer. Also, the router as a client application (if indeed your are running the speedtest there) is not always as efficient as your LAN clients using the same tools, which can be somewhat counter-intuitive to many ppl.

Last edited:
Do everything suggested above.

and use the speedtest.net app you can download it from the microsoft store.

As a data point, my RT-AC68U will get my full 940mbs speed, and with AiProtection enable it drops to 850m/900m.

As a data point, my RT-AC68U will get my full 940mbs speed, and with AiProtection enable it drops to 850m/900m.
That seems strange to me. My RT-AX88U won't do more than ~350Mb with AIProtection enabled.

That seems strange to me. My RT-AX88U won't do more than ~350Mb with AIProtection enabled.
Yah that's strange. Even under heavy load with AiProtection the lowest mine goes is 700-750mb.

Yah that's strange. Even under heavy load with AiProtection the lowest mine goes is 700-750mb.
Your RT-AX88U can do >Gigabit with AiProtection enabled. Your issue is in your long signature.
You're probably right. It's such a long time since I tested a router without any scripts - though I only have 2 or 3 running right now. I'll disable everything and come back with a result.

*edit*
I just proved you correct!

Last edited:
Thanks all, Getting more speed than my plan max now.

Did a factory reset then turned on features back on one by one, doing a speed test each time.

As mentioend AI protection cut my internet speed by a third.

Whats the point of having extra features if your internet speed is going to suffer.

Think iits time to upgrade to a Wifi 6 or 7 router

Think iits time to upgrade to a Wifi 6 or 7 router

It will be faster, but you still have to be crateful what firmware options are enabled. A simple Bandwidth Limiter on Guest Network will kill it again. Anything incompatible with NAT acceleration and the hardware inside can't do even 500Mbps. This is what home routers are including high-end models.

By default, many of these routers enable NAT acceleration. But if you enable certain other features (QoS, bandwidth limiters, etc.), they will *silently* disable it,
So there is no way to enable NAT acceleration? Only way is to do a factory reset or do a restore of saved settings? Is this the same for all ASUS routers ?

I went thru all the settings. There is NAT acceleration showing under LAN-> Switch Control. Options are either Auto or disabled. Will this setting restore internet speed if it is silently disabled?

Last edited:
So there is no way to enable NAT acceleration? Only way is to do a factory reset or do a restore of saved settings? Is this the same for all ASUS routers ?

I went thru all the settings. There is NAT acceleration showing under LAN-Switch Control. Options are either Auto or disabled. Will this setting restore internet speed if it is silently disabled?

Some routers have an explicit setting for NAT acceleration (e.g., my RT-AC68U), some apparently do NOT. For those that do, as you stated, it's Auto or Disabled. It's Auto because the system will silently disable it when it's deemed incompatible w/ something else you have running (e.g., QoS). For those routers w/o this setting, I'm sure the same thing happens. You just don't have the option to FORCE it to be Disabled at all times.

IOW, you can't force NAT acceleration if the system deems it incompatible.

Some routers have an explicit setting for NAT acceleration (e.g., my RT-AC68U), some apparently do NOT. For those that do, as you stated, it's Auto or Disabled. It's Auto because the system will silently disable it when it's deemed incompatible w/ something else you have running (e.g., QoS). For those routers w/o this setting, I'm sure the same thing happens. You just don't have the option to FORCE it to be Disabled at all times.

IOW, you can't force NAT acceleration if the system deems it incompatible.

For those that do, as you stated, it's Auto or Disabled. It's Auto because the system will silently disable it when it's deemed incompatible w/ something else you have running (e.g., QoS).
Just to confirm, even though the option is set to auto, it could be disabled in the background? the setting doesnt change to disabled? Thanks

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!