What's new

Low power NAS as P2P/FTP server?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

galgo

New Around Here
Power Efficient NAS to handle P2P/FTP ?

Greetings :)
This is my first post - but I'm a long time reader and learned a lot from you guys !

I'm looking for a cheap & power efficient 24/7 solution to handle my downloads and shared storage instead of my HTPC.

I'd would like to hear your insights and recommendation regarding a suitable NAS (i.e.Synology 109/j or Buffalo LS CHLv2/LS Pro XHL)
or maybe even a DIY configuration (would a cheap DIY NAS do all these in similar power ratings <20Watt?)

I don't really need a very high performer, redundancy or sophisticated RAID storage (the data is not critical and I backup routinely) - but it should be able to handle the downloads efficiently (with BT encryption and eMule protocol obfuscation) and saturate my 2.5-5MB bandwidth.

A single 3.5" SATA bay is enough, dual bay will be nice but not necessary.
I might even settle for a NAS "adapter" to hook an external USB/SATA drive (but do prefer an internal 3.5" storage).

The files will be streamed/shared over wired Ethernet (currently 100Mbps, might upgrade to a Gigabit in the near future) with other (Windows based) PC's in my house - mainly SD content (Higher bit rate content will NOT be streamed over the network).

I'd also like to get remote file access through the web (secured FTP server?).

My current Router/AP is a SIEMENS ADSL sl2-141 that handles the secure web access and currently serves as the network switch (through its 4X 10/100 ports) - but I might purchase a Gigabit Switch to get better transfer rates inside my house..

I already have a WD10EADS 1TB SATA drive I'd like to use and few other (older) IDE and external USB cases thrown around.

I'm an experienced PC user with good modding skills but not too familiar with Linux/open source OS - so will prefer to use the built-in applications unless the setup of alternative OS (FreeNAS?) and required clients ( Transmission/MLDOnkey) won't require too much scripting/coding.

Thank you,
Gal

PS. - Anyone tried these cheap, unbranded "NAS" adapters from eBay :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220541086281&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170431788607&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Can they really handle Bittorent downloads? any suitable e2dk clients?

Last edited: