What's new

Low signal strength two story condo

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bookedirl

Occasional Visitor
I currently have an RT-AC66U router located in my upstairs office. The 2.4GHz band gives me full strength connection when I'm downstairs but the 5GHz connection is 2-4 bars depending and sometimes it drops. I know the 5GHz connection has limited range compared to the 2.4 but I have a lot of interference with my neighbors connections as well as my sons baby monitor. Basically I need to use the 5GHz connection and make the signal strength stronger. I'm assuming to achieve this I could just use a second AC66U to bridge the two connections and keep the second one located downstairs. Can I use a cheaper model with AC capabilities and still get the full bandwidth?

Thank you.

Hi,
AC mode is for more band width not better signal. Router being on upstairs is good but can you move around the router and /or play with antenna orientation to see it makes difference? My router is located on the loft in a 2 story house HTPC in the main floor family room can do real time HD a/v streaming rock solid. Signal level is typically ~50dbm. 2.4GHz signal is slightly better like 47dbm or so. I used
RT-AC66U, Netgear R7000 and now R7500. If router alone can't do it, you have to
seek other options, like AP, repeater, power line adapter, etc. Also suggest you use some thing like inSSIDer to check signal levels and look, see your WiFi environment if you don't yet.

Thanks for your reply...

I know its for more bandwidth not signal strength I was just saying I need to increase the signal strength on that band. I just wasn't sure which option would be best to get full signal strength downstairs. I've played around with different orientations on the antenna as well moving the router on the desk (limited to where I can put it)

I used inSSIDer and my singal strength is -50~ for 2.4 and -72~ for 5G. So 5G is not ideal by any means.

Basically I know i can just buy a second router and set it up as access point but I want to be cost efficient but also utilize the full bandwidth the AC mode offers. What are my options to repeat or use a second router as an access point and still keep it cost efficient?

Hi,
In my experience 5G signal <60dbm is reliably usable. 72 is definitely too low. If only one device of yours need better 5G signal, quicky may be using a USB WiFi adapter with external antenna. Or if this is a laptop you can try different WiFi card, I usually use Intel dual band card or I try to find a Big Foot Killer card from Qualcomm. When you play with antenna or router position once you change it wait for a while to make sure to see the difference. Signal change does not happen right away. Ideally it is two person job to do it easily. 5G wave length being so short router movement of a few inches makes difference. And not too close to the wall.

My router is always a foot or so away from any wall. If you want to try USB adapter
find one which sits on a stand with long USB cable to plug it in, not the type plugs
directly into USB port for obvious reason.