What's new

Mac Mini as NAS + Media Player + Router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

iwod

Regular Contributor
I want to buy a MediaPlayer that can play all types of internet files. Most of these box are using Realtek 1185DD, and cost about $100 +

I also want a NAS, that does VPN, File sharing, Media Streaming, etc. Like those from Synology.

Then there is a router, to connect all the bits and pieces to all other network.

I am wondering if the Mac Mini + ThunderBolt storage will solve all these problems. ThunderBolt Storage could be added later if i need it.

The lowest Mac Mini cost $599. I could attach it to TV via HDMI cable. And since it could do software decoding which means i should have no problem playing any sort of Video Files. ( As long as i have FFmpeg based player installed )

NAS part could be used by its Internal HDD, and later add TB or Fire wire storage.

I am thinking how to get the router part done? Does the wireless gives enough signal compare to others as a router? I also only have one Ethernet Port.

I want to buy a MediaPlayer that can play all types of internet files. Most of these box are using Realtek 1185DD, and cost about $100 +

I also want a NAS, that does VPN, File sharing, Media Streaming, etc. Like those from Synology.

Then there is a router, to connect all the bits and pieces to all other network.

I am wondering if the Mac Mini + ThunderBolt storage will solve all these problems. ThunderBolt Storage could be added later if i need it.

The lowest Mac Mini cost $599. I could attach it to TV via HDMI cable. And since it could do software decoding which means i should have no problem playing any sort of Video Files. ( As long as i have FFmpeg based player installed )

NAS part could be used by its Internal HDD, and later add TB or Fire wire storage.

I am thinking how to get the router part done? Does the wireless gives enough signal compare to others as a router? I also only have one Ethernet Port.
IN addition to the MAC Mini, did you consider something like
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856173012
this being one of many small form factor HTPCs

Thanks, never thought of that either. I think they should start putting these out with External Antenna and Multiple Ethernet Port.

But for 249 this is very good deal indeed.
Which again makes me wonder why the heck are those NAS costing arm and legs.

The feature set in Synology/QNAP is much, much greater than a MAC Mini or Windows/Linux HTPC with generic software. If you need/want those features, esp. out on the Internet.

IMHO, unless you can set up and configure a Linux server on your own. Stuff like VPN and router functions are generally best left to a router/firewall unit.

OSX Server or a NAS can be configured to do VPN and firewall functions. But you really do need to have some idea of what you are doing. A badly configured firewall or VPN can be as bad or worse than no protection at all.

I would also look at VLC for media playback. Thunderbolt is probably not actually that useful for storage for regular people. The cheapest thunderbolt disk array is $1,000. So it's somewhat more expensive than a 5 bay NAS on it's own, though it does include 5 1tb HD. Thunderbolt for the near future (6mo-1yr) is really for people who need very high performance and you simply don't.

Some sort of external HD using firewire, is probably your best bet for additional storage, since it is much faster than USB 2.0.

You are basically going to need a wireless router even with a mac or a NAS. Neither has enough ethernet ports or is intended to function as one.

The feature set in Synology/QNAP is much, much greater than a MAC Mini or Windows/Linux HTPC with generic software. If you need/want those features, esp. out on the Internet.

I'm not sure why you think this. A mac or a windows machine is a LOT more flexible and can do a LOT more stuff than a NAS. The NAS will generally be simpler to use and set up though. Since a NAS is a dedicated device you are essentially trading flexibility for simplicity and ease of use.