What's new

MacOS X clients won't stay connected to DAP-2553

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

djc6

Occasional Visitor
There is some kind of incompatibility between MacOS X and the D-Link DAP-2553. I have two Mid-2009 13" MBPs running 10.6.4 and the Wi-Fi connection drops every 15 minutes or so - but ONLY while running MacOS X. I dual boot these laptops with Windows 7 via Bootcamp, and I was able to stop the network connection from dropping by setting the power saving settings for the Wi-Fi adapter to 'Maximum Performance' via the steps in this article. Apparently this setting puts the Wi-Fi card in "Continuously Aware Mode" (CAM) instead of "Power Save Polling" (PSP) mode:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928152

However, I haven't found a similar setting in MacOS X to keep the connection from dying in OS X by switching from PSP to CAM mode. In the logs I see this every time the connection dies:

AirPort: Link Down on en1. Reason 4 (Disassociated due to inactivity).

On the D-Link you can list connected clients to the AP, and while the laptops are booted in OS X, "Yes" is displayed in the "Power Saving Mode" column in the 'Client List' in the GUI for the router - presumably because PSP is in use. When I boot the laptops into Windows 7, it says "No" - presumably because CAM is in use.

Apparently this is an issue with other routers and Intel Wi-Fi cards:

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-006205.htm

Here is an article that talks about Power Save Polling vs. Continuously Aware Mode:

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/networking/?p=533

So, anyone know if a new firmware is in the works to fix the problems with 'Power Save Polling (PSP)' in the DAP-2553, OR does anyone know how to disable PSP (aka enable CAM) in MacOS X?

I'm thinking about returning the DAP-2553 and replacing it with a Netgear WNDR3700 in AP mode since it seems to have the best 5Ghz speeds/range.

I have a Draytek Vigor 2930 Dual-WAN router that I want to keep as my gateway, thats why I'm trying to find an AP or a router I can use as an AP.

If you have an iphone be aware that some people have complained about slow speed accessing the WNDR3700 from the iphone.

Interesting... my wife has an iPhone 3GS. No router is perfectly compatible with all devices, huh :) I was thinking Airport Express since we're a mostly apple household (two iMacs, two Macbook Pros) but then I saw the throughput test results on this site and was unimpressed.

Oh well, we'll see what happens :)

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!