What's new

Magnet downloads on netgear

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kneo

Occasional Visitor
Can anyone confirm whether netgear routers support magnet link downloads the way Asus does out of the box? Asus has a Downloader which is quite useful. Does Netgear also have something similar?
I am considering r7000 r8000 and r7800 for replacing my Asus n66. I also have 68u to consider on Asus side.

Can anyone confirm whether netgear routers support magnet link downloads the way Asus does out of the box? Asus has a Downloader which is quite useful. Does Netgear also have something similar?
I am considering r7000 r8000 and r7800 for replacing my Asus n66. I also have 68u to consider on Asus side.
I can't fully answer your question as I only know the Netgear Orbi does not have a bittorrent downloader or USB drive support like Asus.
I have, and recommend, an Asus RT-AC66U_B1 which has the same processor as the RT-AC68U, runs the same firmware (Asus or Merlin) and is just over $100.

Between R7800 and AC68U which would you recommend.

I need the torrent downloader and media streaming via USB as a must have features.

Transmission downloader with its own GUI is included into my build for R7800. As far as I know Transmission accepts magnet links...

Between R7800 and AC68U which would you recommend.
AC68U is relatively old router. Do you mean AC86U (not 68)?

Voxel.

I use a RT-AC66U_B1. Does the same job as an AC68U for less bucks!

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

AC68U is relatively old router. Do you mean AC86U (not 68)?
No i mean 68U. The cost difference between 68u and 7800 is not much in India. I am quite keen on the magnet downloads and Asus has a very nice and stable interface for it. If 7800 also has a similar user friendly interface I would gladly upgrade to 7800 instead of 68U

The R7800 is more powerful than the R8000/R8500/AC68U/AC88U CPU wise for VPN performance and can reach higher throughput even with hardware NAT acceleration disabled . Also has better WiFi performance. Only advantage that the R8000/R8500 have is an extra 5Ghz band.

My needs are quite simple. I am just going to use it for 3 4 devices and streaming on my entertainment center. Would also use it for torrent downloads and media sharing within my home. Its a 1000 sq ft apartment with concrete walls. The N66 lasted me 5 years and I was happy with it until it died on me. Asus has merlin which I feel is a distinct advantage. The only thing I can think of is that I have quite a bit of network interference as I live in an apartment complex.

If you like Asus look for the 86U, as Voxel mentioned.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!