What's new

Main vs mesh nodes with different firmware (guest network pro)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MDFDoom

Occasional Visitor
I’ve been trying to search but not sure I’m getting the right results.

If you have a main router with the newer firmware that includes the guest network pro, and nodes which do not, how does that work? Will the VLAN stuff still work? Or will only the main router broadcast the guest network?

Just a bit confused about mixing and matching the different major firmware differences. Appreciate any insights.

If you have a main router with the newer firmware that includes the guest network pro, and nodes which do not, how does that work? Will the VLAN stuff still work? Or will only the main router broadcast the guest network?

Just a bit confused about mixing and matching the different major firmware differences. Appreciate any insights.

Assume ASUSWRT 5.0 Pro features will only work on Pro nodes, particularly something like VLANs that must integrate across the network.

OE

So my current setup has 2 ET12s and soon to be returned AXE11000. I’m able to create the guest network using the beta firmware on the ET12. It seems like it works with the VLAN as I can select all the APs when logging in the UI for the guest network. Is the AXE11000 not actually doing anything?

So my current setup has 2 ET12s and soon to be returned AXE11000. I’m able to create the guest network using the beta firmware on the ET12. It seems like it works with the VLAN as I can select all the APs when logging in the UI for the guest network. Is the AXE11000 not actually doing anything?

Install a WiFi Analyzer app and see for yourself what your nodes are broadcasting... I can't see anything from here.

I would not run beta firmware unless you want to play with your network. The latest ET12 Pro firmware is not beta firmware.

OE

There is some discussion about it scattered through several threads as others were asking the same question(s). Here is one post and subsequent some discussion later in the same thread on Guest Network Pro and non Guest Network Pro supported AiMesh nodes:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...102_34312-2024-05-09.90015/page-2#post-907271

If you plan to use multiple guest networks, I wouldn't mix 3006 & 3004. I did that with a EBR63(3006) and a RT-AX58U(3004) as a node and with guest networks enabled, the main router(EBR63) would constantly reboot as soon as the node would connect. With 1 basic guest network, it was fine but as soon as you added more networks, it was reboot city until I removed the node or extra guest networks

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!