What's new

Manifest v2 and diversion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

heysoundude

Part of the Furniture
I’m seeing a lot of 🤯😤😭😱😡 about certain browser-based adblocking addons becoming non-functional when Chrome/chromium browsers change versions of something called manifest.

Being a diversion user, I’m concerned that one day it too will not function and I’ll be subject to all those bloody adverts and privacy incursions. Should I be worried, or will I be fine for the foreseeable future?

Diversion is not an extension so you don't have to worry.

Diversion is not an extension so you don't have to worry.
Thank you, yes, I'm aware. but that wasnt quite what I was asking: will advertisers start using techniques beyond the capabilities of what we use to block their ads from appearing on our networks?

Thank you, yes, I'm aware. but that wasnt quite what I was asking: will advertisers start using techniques beyond the capabilities of what we use to block their ads from appearing on our networks?
They will always that.

DNS-based blockers already have limited capabilities. Blocking and enforcing DNS with destroying EDNS in the process is also not improving the user experience. On-router solutions move into hurting yourself category. Chrome will fight with extensions more aggressively, alternatives will show up over time. How effective and for how long - we’ll find out.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!