What's new

Manual IP-inside or outside range?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

canuckle

Regular Contributor
I realize this is a general question, but since I use RMerlin's firmware exclusively, I thought I'd post it here.

When assigning manual ip's to a device via the firmware UI, does it matter if the ip assigned is inside our outside the range? Mine are inside the range, and I haven't had any issues, but I'm still learning and I can't seem to find a clear answer that isn't buried in black belt level jargon, lol.

Thanks,

Mike

From my experience it doesn't work if you put them outside your dhcp range. Seems a bit odd to me but I'm no expert. That's just the way it seems to be.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

From my experience it doesn't work if you put them outside your dhcp range. Seems a bit odd to me but I'm no expert. That's just the way it seems to be.

OK thanks.

It shouldn't matter. I have a mixture of both here actually - some that I have manually allocated outside for my real static devices (my desktop/server and my VoIP ATA) and my VMs, while some inside the scope have simply been reserved (all my test routers, for instance).

Last edited:
It shouldn't matter. I have a mixture of both here actually - some that I have manually allocated outside for my real static devices (my desktop/server and my VoIP ATA) and my VMs, while some inside the scope have simply been reserved (all my test routers, for instance).

Did you need to set anything on the router to get it to see those outside your range?
I tried it for my static devices but couldn't get it to work do just used the top end of my dhcp range.

I put them just below the DHCP pool, outside of it, on the RT-N66U, and it just works. No problems, nothing special to do. I don't have any devices that require static addresses, I use the reservations either because a client device runs better with a reserved address that I can mark as static on the client, or because I want to give a client device a name that I can identify.

I know my response will be a little oblique to the question but...

I find assigning my devices true static LAN addresses even better than providing them DHCP reservations. All those DHCP requests you see clogging your log just go away, meaning the router is spending less time handling DHCP.

You can manually assign IP addresses (a.k.a. IP address reservations) inside or outside of the DHCP range. It works both ways and is your choice.

I assign inside the range, because I want the range to be large, group the IP address by device type, and don't have any static addresses.

Others assign outside the range (and have a small range) so they can identify new / unknown devices easily.

Static addresses are assigned at the device, not at the router. I don't think you would do both. When you assign a static IP at the device, the device will not request an IP, so the manual assignment (reservation) is unnecessary. I guess you could for tracking.

Static addresses are assigned at the device, not at the router. I don't think you would do both. When you assign a static IP at the device, the device will not request an IP, so the manual assignment (reservation) is unnecessary. I guess you could for tracking.

It also ensures that the router won't accidentally allocate that IP to someone else, so it's probably a good idea to still create a reservation even for static IPs - unless your static IPs are outside of the DHCP pool.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!