What's new

Market Research for Retailer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

spartan711

New Around Here
Hi Everyone,

I have started an e-commerce website at openstoragepods.com, hoping to sell server equipment at an affordable price. My entry to the storage world was finding a place for all my content to play with XBMC. In particular, it always seemed that the storage component was too high, or not standardized (unRaid, Drobo's, DIY designs). Then the Backblaze pod came out. It's perfect for an HTPC server duty cycle. However, it was so difficult to order the parts (over 15 vendors) that I gave up a couple of years ago. Now, with the 2.0 version out, and some capital from a friend, I believe I can sell these pods at a very competitive price. Over time, I hope to take community designs and manufacture them for everyone, so if someone needs high I/O or super redundancy, they can order a different version.

Currently, I am only planning to sell the BB pod v2.0. However, I know that some people want to use the Backblaze Pod a little differently than its intended to, and I was hoping that some people would work with me to mitigate those factors, as I really believe the Backblaze design can be adapted (swapping PM backplanes for SAS backplanes, becoming compatible with ZFS, using HBA's instead of adding SATA ports, etc, redundant PSU's, etc). I will also eventually be adding software tutorials for large storage arrays so people have a one stop shop (hardware, software, installation procedure).

I am offering a substantial discount on BB Pods (read: cost +5%) to those who decided to help. I will be taking a maximum of three people, and I will be checking out your past posts. So clearly, a high post count will help.

The way you would help is providing me with all the problems of the BB pod and why people would not like one to purchase one, and ways to fix that. I have most of them covered, but essentially what I'm giving the discount for is your experience, as I have very little in the overall storage arena. We will most likely correspond through email, sometimes phone if it is easier.

If you would like to help, but don't find the reward enticing, I'm sure we could work out another compensation system. If you are interested, please PM me. If you want to throw out ideas through posts, let'em rip! I'll be giving a cost + 5% discount (excluding the pod, for one item only) for any posts that are particularly helpful (and yes, you can be selected multiple times).

Thanks for your time!

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!