What's new

Meraki MR12 Cloud Managed AP vs EnGenius XtraRange ESR600H AP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tipstir

Very Senior Member
I've had the Meraki MR12 SMB a few days now and just got the it up running here. More like a Wyse thin client device since it can only work with a license, and cloud manage networking. So Meraki kinda knows everything I am doing. Well there is an option to opt out of that. Which I've selected too. They can gather a lot of info where the their node (network device) is located on a google map through their software called dashboard.

Basically you load dashboard and setup your configuration, really not that hard to do. Then just plug-in MR12 to AC adapter that comes with it or use POE Switch. AP is slightly heavy but well made all metal but front case it plastic. Looks high tech though.

Not a lot of info on the lights on the front panel. Power on, WiFi on and 4x WiFi Signal Strength Meter.

There are two ports on the back. One is 10/100m the other is 1000m. What we have here is 802.11n, most of what I've gather it's 2T/2R design. No Dual Band just a Single Band. It does come with a wall mount. Also can be position flat on a tablet is has rubber feet on the other side.

Firewall has Layer 3 and Layer 7 Rules. Default is Layer 3.
Traffic Shaping Rules also..

Bandwidth Limit
50 to unlimited option for Speed Burst
(I've set it to 1Mbps before unlimited it goes to 5Mbps then unlimited)

I have this link to my Android Tablets I test here. So the images I have are from the tablet. It shows you how well it's doing. In my testing single power is very strong compared to the ESR600H. Almost tie. I just did outside test to see how well both are doing. Same results. MR12 has slightly stronger signal than ESR600H but not that much.

MR12 Screen Shots
MR12

MR12 On

Two attached images shows you how well both MR12 and ESR600H are doing.
Next shot will show when you go beyond 200FT results on that are equal.

MR12 MSRP is $399
ESR600H Amazon Price is $84

Attachments

• MR12VSESR600H.jpg
    MR12VSESR600H.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 329
  • 2012-09-07-0211372.png
    2012-09-07-0211372.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 568
Last edited:
The attached shows how both are doing signal wise in the house here. This was taken from laptop on my network using the ESR600H.

As you can clearly see who's the manufacturer of the chip-sets plus the signal is 100% for both.

Attachments

• MR12.png
    MR12.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 419
One really needs to assess the client-to-router/AP performance, not just a strong outbound signal.

One really needs to assess the client-to-router/AP performance, not just a strong outbound signal.

That's one of the factors sure there is more.. I am still testing this one out so be patient.. Thanks in advance..

Now testing Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit tablet on this.. Network 10.x.x.x with my own. Slowly both are working in harmony now. Web Server from NSA325 is runny very smooth along with it's Printer Server from the NSA325. I must say ZyXEL has done something right. But anyway so far all Android tablets are working with with the MR12. I just got another tablet Gemini from Skytex. That was the first on put on the MR12 Cloud network.

Odd on the Window 7 tablet I am seeing only

72% for Signal from MR12 on MR12 AP where as the ESR600H is showing 96%. Also odd that I am only less than a foot away from the MR12. Where as I am about 50 feet from ESR600H. Has to be the hardware for the S970 Tablet I am on. None of the Android Tablet show this weakness.

Legacy test show weak on the MR12 when I connect to the ESR600H it's where it should be. Odd..

Update 9.16.12

Well got this working smooth with my network here. Seems it was impacting my network. But some tweaks and it working out. Tested both Windows and Android tablets so far so good. Range is no different than using ESR600H. HD 1080p streaming over WiFi from the internet no real issues I can see. Browsing Internets or reading USA Today on the tablet no issues opening up flash videos too..

WiFi Signal 100% Link 37.8m from Meraki Cloud Service Link Loop-back.

Meraki MR12
Has 10/100m POE port 1
Has [x] 1000m port 2
I have the port managed on my L2 manage switch to 1000m / Enable Flow Control

Mounted on the Wall

Image Shown here

Some more data on this one you get 15 SSIDs
Each one can be configured separately

I have about 4 SSIDs in usage.. Android one is set for use all 10x tablets and 8x Smartphone in WiFi mode only. 802.11n

Enabled/Disabled
Name / rename

Network access control
Enabled: check clients for antivirus software

Remediation
Send users to a standard remediation site

Network Access
[Association Requirements]

[ ] Open (no encryption)
Any user can associate

[x] Pre-shared key with
Users must enter this key to associate: Show key

[ ] MAC-based access control (no encryption)
RADIUS server is queried at association time

[ ] WPA2-Enterprise with
User credentials are validated with 802.1X at association time

Access Control
----------------
Encryption
Sign-on method

[Bandwidth limit] slider is used
Per-device bandwidth limit - 50k, 100k, 250k, 500k, 1m, 2m, [5m], unlimited

[x] Enable SpeedBurst
SpeedBurst allows users to temporarily exceed the bandwidth limit for short periods while still keeping them under the bandwidth limit over time. This option provides a better experience to a user browsing the web while not slowing down the network if they are transferring large amounts of data

Total SSID bandwidth limit - 50k, 100k, 250k, 500k, 1m, 2m, [5m], unlimited

Client IP assignment
Client blocked from using LAN
Wired clients are part of the WiFi network
VLAN tab
VPN

Splash page
------------
Splash page enabled
Splash theme

[ ] None (direct access)
Users can access the network as soon as they associate

[x] Click-through
Users must view and acknowledge your splash page before being allowed on the network

[ ]Sign-on with
Users must enter a username and password before being allowed on the network

[ ] Sign-on with SMS AuthenticationBETA
Users enter a mobile phone number and receive an authorization code via SMS.

After a trial period of 25 texts, you will need to connect with your twilio account on the Network-wide settings page.

[ ] Billing (paid access)
Users choose from various pay-for-access options, or an optional free tier

Addressing and traffic
---------------------
Client IP assignment

[x] NAT mode: Use Meraki DHCP
Clients receive IP addresses in an isolated 10.0.0.0/8 network. Clients cannot communicate with each other, but they may communicate with devices on the wired LAN if the SSID firewall settings permit.

[ ] Bridge mode: Make clients part of the LAN
Meraki devices operate transparently (no NAT or DHCP). Clients receive DHCP leases from the LAN or use static IPs. Use this for shared printers, file sharing, and wireless cameras.

[ ] VPN: tunnel data to an MX or VM
Meraki devices send traffic over a secure tunnel to an MX or VM concentrator.

[ ] Layer 3 roaming
Clients are tunneled to a specified VLAN at the concentrator. They will keep the same IP address when roaming between APs.

Note: VPN and Layer 3 roaming require an MX or VM concentrator. To use them, add an MX, or create a concentrator .

VLAN tagging
Bridge mode only

Traffic Control
--------------

Content Filtering - [x] Block Adult content
NAT mode only

Wireless options
Legacy 11b operations - [x] disabled (by default = enabled)

Some of the features you see on the Meraki Cloud Dashboard shown above [x] is what I am using.

Last edited:
9.19.12 Today I am on one of my Windows 7 H64 SP1 laptops testing the WiFi to the max.. This is my results on a Business Network running the Meraki MR12. The ESR600H on a Home Network but for some odd reason I am not getting anything over 34mbp for down. Ups are slightly higher showing 7.84mb/s.

Attachments

• 2189803269.png
    2189803269.png
    31 KB · Views: 371
Last edited: