What's new

Merlin firmware and 2.4GHz band drops on AX88u and BE88u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

snevs

New Around Here
Hi Everyone,

I'm a pretty new member of this forum, even though I've been an old-time passive reader.
I've been using the Merlin firmware with an RT-AX88u, and now RT-BE88u.
The reason why I purchased the BE88u is that I started to believe the AX88u was faulty, but now I don't believe that anymore, since the BE88u is acting the same way.

I just wanted to say that I've been encountering some issues with the latest firmware releases, such as wifi drops of the 2.4GHz band, and I wouldn't have noticed if some of my IoT devices complained of this, because I never connect my laptop or phone to the 2.4GHz wifi.
I also didn't restore the settings from a backup, but I renamed the networks as I previously used to have them, to avoid re-configuring all the devices with the new SSID.
I'm not really sure what details to provide, as I've never went into the router's console via SSH and do some troubleshooting, as I didn't want to mess with it, but the idea is:

- The router started to drop the WiFi 2.4GHz band
- Speedtests revealed a ~10mbps download, while I have a gigabit subscription
- I installed the firmware on the the BE88u router a few days ago. When I enabled the HTTPS protocol for the Web UI, the 2.4GHz band went completely missing from my laptop's and iphone's wireless AP list.
What is strange, though, is that even when my phone or laptop was not able to see the 2GHz bands, some IoT devices were connecting to that band (I have a Macbook Pro, an iphone 14, and my wife's iphone SE. none of them were seeing the wifi).
I also have an Intel NUC, and it was able to intermittently see the 2.4GHz band.

Below are the settings for the wifi networks, nothing out of the ordinary, maybe except for the authentication method, which is a mix of WPA2 and 3 personal, which I don't think should affect the visibility of the network to any of the devices. Worst case scenario would be that the devices would not be able to authenticate, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, I don't have smart connect of MLO enabled, as I'd like to keep my networks as separate as possible.

I'd really appreciate some hints on how to properly troubleshoot this issue, or any details/logs that I can provide for someone to look at and give me a piece of advice.

P.S. I'm aware that the current version for BE88u is in a beta status, but the same behaviour I've been experiencing with the AX88u, which was a stable release.

1729850812666.png

This is not a fix, just a test.
Manually set 2.4GHz to channel 6 and 20MHz only, then disable 160MHz on the 5GHz and set the channel to 36. See how that runs.