What's new

Mesh advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OakleyFreak

Regular Contributor
So after troubleshooting a video skip issue.
Looks like my ax86s is the culprit.
So good time to upgrade
current setup
Ax86u main
As86u node
1800 Sq feet . Node in garage far end
35 total devices on network. Using Guest for IOT
The ax6000 is on sale for $229
So question
Get ax6000 as main and use ax86u as node
Get 2 ax6000 and sell the 86u
Explore other mesh systems?

If you are using wireless backhaul , did you move the two closer line of sight and test ?
if so , did the issue go away ?
Or try an ethernet cable for wired backhaul to see if the wireless is the issue ?
Or MOCA ( ethernet over coax ) ?

Unless it is CPU/wireless chipset issue, replacing with a different AX point may not make any difference.

If you are using wireless backhaul , did you move the two closer line of sight and test ?
if so , did the issue go away ?
Or try an ethernet cable for wired backhaul to see if the wireless is the issue ?
Or MOCA ( ethernet over coax ) ?

Unless it is CPU/wireless chipset issue, replacing with a different AX point may not make any difference.
Ethernet backhaul

common wisdom seems to be use same units for main and nodes, all running same firmware if doing the asus mesh stuff.
Did you try as an access point and not use asus mesh at all ?
Or is that even an option ?
i left asus behind when i migrated to smb gear.

Just curious is the setup wireless to the TV and video source ?
Can you do wired ?

Looks like the AX86U Pro is on sale again. It is a good router.
As for your issue, have you enabled Ethernet Backhaul Mode? If so , disable it. I've also found that using the 2.5 GB ports for backhaul can cause issues sometimes. I am currently using an AX86U as an AiMesh node on 1 GB connection with no issues.

Just so long as it is the router(s) that's the problem. Older devices don't always have the very best latest codecs, and some sources don't always have the throughput they'd ideally need!

common wisdom seems to be use same units for main and nodes, all running same firmware if doing the asus mesh stuff.
Did you try as an access point and not use asus mesh at all ?
Or is that even an option ?
i left asus behind when i migrated to smb gear.

Just curious is the setup wireless to the TV and video source ?
Can you do wired ?
Unfortunately tv is wireless on a Fire Cube

Looks like the AX86U Pro is on sale again. It is a good router.
As for your issue, have you enabled Ethernet Backhaul Mode? If so , disable it. I've also found that using the 2.5 GB ports for backhaul can cause issues sometimes. I am currently using an AX86U as an AiMesh node on 1 GB connection with no issues.
Wouldn't disabling eth backhaul force it to 5ghz backhaul?

No. In some cases letting the router and node choose backhand works better.
Ok I set it to auto .
I'll give it a day or so and see how things go.
Also research shows that maybe the RT-AX88U Pro
Is the best upgrade option.
As the 86upro is almost eol .
I assume the ax 6000 would also be eol.

The GT-AX6000 is not EOL, and it is a quality router!

Looks like my ax86s is the culprit.

Unlikely and from RT-AX86U to GT-AX6000 is not much of upgrade in terms of performance. Both models have the same specs 5GHz radios and this is perhaps the band your streaming devices are using. What you can get as upgrade is Asuswrt 5.0 features, but none of them are related to your video issue. What exactly is the skip issue? Video streams are usually compressed and under 50Mbps bitrate. You are about to make an expensive experiment with no guaranteed results. Something else is perhaps the issue, not the bandwidth.

Unlikely and from RT-AX86U to GT-AX6000 is not much of upgrade in terms of performance. Both models have the same specs 5GHz radios and this is perhaps the band your streaming devices are using. What you can get as upgrade is Asuswrt 5.0 features, but none of them are related to your video issue. What exactly is the skip issue? Video streams are usually compressed and under 50Mbps bitrate. You are about to make an expensive experiment with no guaranteed results. Something else is perhaps the issue, not the bandwidth.
Well I don't get the skip if I force the cube 3 to the 86u. Seems to only do it when connected to 86s. But its very speratic. Illtry and get more data on the issue

Both U and S version have the same radios, run the same firmware and your wired node is an Access Point, does literally nothing else than wired-to-wireless bridge. Study the issue because I have a feeling upgrading to different model may not solve it. Break AiMesh, run Router + Access Point configuration, use different Wi-Fi channels... experiment and you may save time and money. There is no way >500Mbps over Wi-Fi capable device is restricting your video streams. Something else is going on.

Sounds like the client device thinks it is getting better signal from the 86U than the 86s and trying to switch. Or you are getting interference from another radio. The client generally controls which AP it connects to. The AP can deny and drop.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!