What's new

Mesh - GuestWiFi - IoT - MerlinWRT - 2.4ghz issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cyberbooster

New Around Here
Hello,
I'm struggling with understanding what is my exact issue here. If anybody has any clue, please send me a lifeline, thank you.

A bit of background
I have a 2 story house with 4 nodes:
  • AX88U cable connected to starlink main router (on the upper floor)
  • 2x AX86U Pro as mesh node (one on the upper floor, one on the ground floor)
  • 1x AX58U as mesh node (on the ground floor)
My Wifi setup:
  • a main WiFi (5Ghz and 2.4ghz) which works like a charm, no issues whatsoever, coverage is good both inside and outside my home
  • a 5Ghz GuestWiFi which works perfectly as above
  • a 2.4Ghz WiFi for IoT devices that is giving me headaches.

What works over the IoT wifi:
  • a solar inverter SolarEdge
  • a Tesla battery pack and gateway (the futhest point away outside of the house)

What works with issues:
  • iPhone connects and can navigate, but has frequent disconnection and poor reception/bandwidth even close to the nodes. IoT Wifi shows up on the phone at times, not everytime I check in the settings, I have to switch off and on again the wifi few times to make it show up.

What doesn't work over the IoT wifi:
  • NetAtmo Thermostat 5m away from AX86U Pro node -> recognize the wifi after several tries, connects, but can't setup
  • Tado Thermostat 2m away from either node (tried getting close to everyone) -> recognize the wifi after several tries, connects, but can't setup
  • Samsung dryer closer than the working devices (but behind a thick wall), doesn't even get a single bar of signal. In the same room the iPhone detects 5Ghz wifi, but not 2.4Ghz.

What I tried:
  • standard firmware, updated to Merlin 3004.388.8_2 (no changes)
  • changing roaming -db sensitivity (-75, -80, -60, -68)
  • changing beamfoaming, MiMo settings, Bluetooth coexistence
What I'm uncapable of making it work
  • For the life of me, I can't make SSH login work. On win10, I tried with native SSH, Putty, nothing connects. My guess I really don't understand how to make it work with the SSH keys, but even simple user/pwd doesn't seem to work.

My current config:
GuestWiFi1.png

GuestWiFi2.png

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!