What's new

Mesh network suggestion...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

flyboynm

Regular Contributor
This is for a Bed and Breakfast in Mexico.

A friend has a main house on 2.5 floors (sort of like a split level) that covers about 6000 sq ft. Additionally, they have a casita on the back half of the property that is about 40 yards from the main house. I am trying to figure out a way to get this all networked on a single SSID, if it is even possible.

What I have come up with so far is to have a large mesh network in the main house and either run a cat-5 cable along the top of the wall to the Casita or one of the infamous power line adapters beings the power for both buildings is at the same box.

How would you do it? I THINK I have a budget of about $500-600 to be able to do this with. I would buy the items in the US and take them down in my suitcase when I go there next month.

Single SSID is possible with any system. I'm assuming concrete construction, which will be tough for pure wireless mesh. If you can get Ethernet from floor to floor somehow, that would be a better bet.

If you can't, your best bet would the original Orbi with its 4x4 backhaul. You could also do a 4x4 main router and NETGEAR EX8000 extender.
If you can place the main router centrally, you could do two extenders if needed, one upstairs and one down.

Definitely recommend using Ethernet for the casita vs. powerline. If you can't run the cable, maybe an outdoor AP with directional antenna aimed at the casita can do it. All depends on how much bandwidth is expected out there.

Thank you for the suggestions. Brick and adobe construction so it has been a pain so far - dropped connections, no connectivity in others, etc. I have asked about running a drop to the casita before. I will ask again.

Highest speed available is what they want. They have 300mbps fiber so they have plenty of bandwidth. Amazing that Mexico has fiber all over the place but not in the US. :(

Thank you for the suggestions. Brick and adobe construction so it has been a pain so far - dropped connections, no connectivity in others, etc. I have asked about running a drop to the casita before. I will ask again.

Highest speed available is what they want. They have 300mbps fiber so they have plenty of bandwidth. Amazing that Mexico has fiber all over the place but not in the US. :(
Best bet for 300 Mbps is Ethernet. If it has to be wireless, your options are limited. Best bet is a pair of outdoor 5 GHz directional bridges.