What's new

Mesh Networking - OnHub, Google Wifi or Amplifi HD?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

itrocks4u

New Around Here
Hi guys,

Moved to a new house and trying out the best fit for Mesh Network. I live in Canada and have Bell Fiber which is tagged Vlan. Bell provides it's own Home Hub 3000 router which I don't like.

1) I started with Google Wifi, great to setup, two were good enough for the whole house. Lacked Vlan tagging feature. Configured it as PPPoE and could not get more than 600Mbps download. Even bypassed the HH3000 through a manged switch (Edge Router SFP) and still no luck. If I had GW configured in Advanced DMZ through HH3000 (no PPPoE), I would get full 950+Mbps on wired connection. I figured it's GW limitations. GW acknowledges they have issues with PPPoE. Ended up returning it. Please note, GW was connected to ethernet backual.

2) Now I'm using AmpliFi HD. I'm using two routers Meshed via ethernet backhaul. So far it's been working fine. Vlan tagging feature is available so that's a great plus. PPPoE connected, however download speeds on wired hovers around 550 to 600 mark. Support is aware of this issue and plans to release an update. It has been an ongoing issue for a while now. Again the two routers are connected through ethernet backhaul.

3) Next and finally I'm thinking of giving onHub try. I really liked the simplicity of Google Wifi and onHub does the same thing but cheaper. I paid $400CAD for Amplifi HD but I can likely get onHub two routers for $200CAD.

Do you think it's worth checking it out? It is google platform but my worry is if eventually they would stop supporting it. When I compare OnHub specs to Google Wifi, it seems like it's more powerful. 12 antennas versus less in GW and only 6 in Amplifi HD?

Seems like it would be much stronger for half the price of Amplifi.

It depends on the antennas. 12 x 3 dbi or 6 x 5 dbi
5 dbi will win as it got less interference then the 3 dbi ( even when it is more xd ) and is stronger

But that's so far my suggestion goes as I got no exp with those models

Greets from PowerChaos

Greets from PowerChaos
Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

It depends on the antennas. 12 x 3 dbi or 6 x 5 dbi
5 dbi will win as it got less interference then the 3 dbi ( even when it is more xd ) and is stronger

But that's so far my suggestion goes as I got no exp with those models

Greets from PowerChaos

Greets from PowerChaos

What does that mean? Can you elaborate?

Dbi is transmission power and antenna size
So how more power how stronger the signal
But the signal need to go both ways

So in short
How more dbi how better the sending/receiving
See it like a radio. A large antenna and no antenna. What gives best signal

Also keep in mind that using 5 dbi antennas when you got 3 dbi wifi card will not provide expected result as you only recieve and transmit on the 3 dbi instead the 5 dbi

Complicated to explain but general is that how more dbi how more power/range you have
More power need less dbi. More dbi need less power to gain same result

I hope I explained it correctly
See on Wikipedia for more info about dbi
Grts from PowerChaos

Greets from PowerChaos