What's new

Mesh problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ueuser

New Around Here
Recently bought a RT AX86U PRO I would like to use it together with RT AC68U in mesh system connected via LAN (no possibility via wifi - to week)
I’ve got an issue - can’t make it work for long time.
I’m able to connect RT AC68U via wifi and it works with no problem can’t make it work connecting both units on LAN on stock firmware. After firmware change to Merlin on RT AC68U I’ve been able to get it work for some time then it stop to work and can’t get it work again.
I’ve found some info about RT AC68U saying it’s quite bad/problematic device for mesh.

Is there any chance I could make it work or should I change it in to another device - if so what should I look for (don’t need another RT AX86U PRO it’s quite pricy) what device I should look for? (I need it to cover the ground floor for some mobile devices, tv, two laptops and some IOT. WiFi 6 it’s not a must.

After firmware change to Merlin on RT AC68U I’ve been able to get it work for some time then it stop to work and can’t get it work again.
Any particular reason for changing to Asus-Merlin on the RT-AC68U nodes? Seems many here suggest using Asus stock firmware on AiMesh nodes.
When the node stops working have you checked the system log(s) to see what they indicate, if anything?
What firmware is the RT-AX86U Pro running?

- RT-AC68U didn’t want to work AiMesh at all via LAN
- it shows connected but WiFi devices do don’t see it
- 3.0.0.4.386.15_0

- 3.0.0.4.386.15_0
3.0.0.4.386.15_0? Where did you get that from? Is that running on the RT-AC68U(s)? There is no such 3.0.0.4.386.15_0 Asus-Merlin firmware version for the RT-AC68U. Like Tech9 indicates, restore the RT-AC68U to stock Asus firmware (latest 3.0.0.4.386_51685).

Please indicate the firmware version running on the RT-AX86U Pro.

I have tested an AC68U as an AiMesh node with anAX86U Pro. The AC68U does not have the same channel and bandwidth abilities as the AX86U Pro, Therefore, set the 5 GHz on the AX86U Pro to 20-40-80 MHz bandwidth and disable DFS channels. Set the 2.4 GHz to 20 MHz bandwidth. Leave the WIFI channels at Auto bot both bands. Set up the AiMesh with the devices within three meters of each other. Connect the AC68U WAN port to one of the router LAN ports if you want. Once the mesh is set up, leave the mesh settings at default. I recommend not enabling Ethernet backhaul setting. Move the node to its final location and connect to Ethernet. Make sure you do not have a managed switch between the router and node.