What's new

Migrating from OpenVPN to Wiregaurd

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mafiaboy01

Regular Contributor
I recently upgraded from a ac86u to an ac88u pro and was thinking of migrating my OpenVPN setup to WireGuard for some faster transfer speeds.

My current OpenVPN setup consists of the server running on the Asus router, then I have a remote Ubuntu server as a client connect to it. This client is assigned an IP on my local subnet (192.186.2.xxx) and everything works great.

I started setting up WireGuard however I can’t seem to figure out how to assign the incoming client an IP on the 192.168.2.xxx subnet. This is important because TimeMachine is only accessible by Macs running in the same subnet. So I the client is assigned an ip of 10.6.0.2 the Mac won’t find the location.

You can't. WireGuard is for routed connections, similar to OpenVPN's tun. There is no WireGuard equivalent of OpenVPN's bridged (tap) connection.
That makes sense thank you. I’ll stick with the old setup for now then unless I can get the apps working on different subnets.

You need better hardware, NOT a change in VPN. It's mighty convenient to use the router, so it's the first choice of most ppl. But your typical consumer-grade router is a poor platform for many services. I had the same problem until I moved it to a SFF PC I threw together out of old spare parts (circa 2011), nothing fancy, and voila, no more performance issues. Almost *anything* will outperform your typical router.

You need better hardware, NOT a change in VPN. It's mighty convenient to use the router, so it's the first choice of most ppl. But your typical consumer-grade router is a poor platform for many services. I had the same problem until I moved it to a SFF PC I threw together out of old spare parts (circa 2011), nothing fancy, and voila, no more performance issues. Almost *anything* will outperform your typical router.

That’s a good point. I think even a SFF PC might be a bit tricky to hide in my condo. However an older Intel NUC might do the trick. I still manage to get about 200-250Mbps of transfer speed for my backups now which is okay. But I’ll keep an eye out for a cheap used NUC as an alternative.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!