What's new

Mix and Match

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Scooterit

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I have a home network with 6 Apple Airports all with the same SSID.

I need to add a outdoor to cover the pool area and would like to add a Ubiquity UniFi AP outdoor. To keep things easy I would like to use the same SSID.

Wandering how well iOS devices will cope with this situation.

Otherwise I might have to put an other Apple Airport in a weatherproof enclosure.

Thanks for your advice.

Smiles across the wires,

Rogier

Thanks for the quick reply :)

But I am confused about your answer. Is this a positive or negative interpretation of rain?

Smiles across the wires,

Rogier

Hi,

I have a home network with 6 Apple Airports all with the same SSID.

I need to add a outdoor to cover the pool area and would like to add a Ubiquity UniFi AP outdoor. To keep things easy I would like to use the same SSID.

Wandering how well iOS devices will cope with this situation.

Otherwise I might have to put an other Apple Airport in a weatherproof enclosure.

Thanks for your advice.

Smiles across the wires,

Rogier

Look to at the outdoor products from Engenius
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ESTMATCH&Description=engenius&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Mixing and matching routers/access points from different models/manufacturers is generally not an issue so long as they are all connected over the wire. Once you start getting in to things like bridging, WDS and wireless repeating then things get complicated, quickly. As just an access point, it shouldn't be an issue.

One other option, since I am guessing this is an AP with a wire back in to the house, if you don't have an existing port exposed, I am assuming you are putting an external box in or running a wire out some other way. If you are going to that level, you could consider having the router inside, but running the antennas outside on pigtails. Not necessarily the solution you are looking for.

Anyway, its how I have my "outdoor" AP setup. TP-Link 841nd in my garage with 1m pigtails run through the wall right up against the roof sofit with the antennas sticking down. Works awesome and no issues with weather. Gives great coverage of my whole backyard (1/2 acre backyard).

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!