What's new

Mixing Verizon 4G and Comcast cable into home network?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hopfotch

New Around Here
Hi - I am generally tech savvy but weak on networks, so please be gentle. I looked over the forum names, and I hope this is appropriate place to ask:

We have a pretty normal home network - Comcast cable modem connected (currently) into a older Linksys WRT54G. Nodes include a D-Link print server, couple of TrendNet switches (upstairs, downstairs, etc), a PS2, TV, Synology NAS, 2 iPhones, ~4 laptops (wi-fi), and whatever visiting technology might be in the neighborhood. Everything Cat 6 gigabit except for the router, and once I digest the advice you good people give me in response to this thread, I will replace that with a gigabit unit as well - and then I will be totally modern.

So I recently got a Verizon mifi hotspot from my work for travel - and it is awesome, often providing triple the speed of Comcast cable. So the idea is to leverage both connections for max speed at home.

My ideal would be a network that is connected to the internet via both of these two network connections. I want the router(s) to decide which packets to send through which connection and have the clients blissfully unaware of which connection they are using. Furthermore, I want the ability to unplug the mifi and take it with me, and have the network not skip a beat - switching over to using the Comcast cable exclusively, until the mifi is on and back in range.

Three more requirements:
1) I would need to regularly punch out of this local network from one of the laptops using a VPN client to my company's private cloud.
2) Each client is configured to back up nightly to the Synology box - so every (laptop) client would need connectivity to that device with (static IP).
3) Ditto all laptops would need connectivity to the print server.

Is there home gear that does this, or am I in expensive / custom product neighborhood? Any advice would be helpful - I've been looking at Amazon product descriptions for "repeater", "WAN bridge", "mediabridge", etc. Nothing seems quite right... help? :p

I use CradlePoint's routers which support Verizon and others' modems, including 3G and 4G/LTE on Verizon. The router also has an ethernet WAN port to connect to cable modem/DSL or whatever. For me, they run 24/7 without rebooting until there's a power failure. Very robust firmware- intended for the M2M market where the devices are unattended. I've also used Sierra Wireless' Raven XE and GX routers with integral modems which also have ethernet + Verizon. More expensive, but also widely used for M2M. Another source is Digi International for cellular/ethernet dual WAN. But...

The normal use of this is fail-over and fail-back.
I don't know if they have a product with load balancing. The issue is that any TCP stream has to all stay on the same WAN connection. Same for streaming UDP/RTP (video). The only way I know of to send some packets on WAN#1 and some on WAN#2, for the same stream, is for the distant end to have cooperating software. There's an IETF RFC standard for this, but I don't think it's common or present at all in low cost SOHO routers.

The term, I think, is dual-WAN or dual-homed router. But normally these are two ethernet ports or two fiber ports. Link Aggregation is the geek term. Or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_aggregation.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!