What's new

More Homeplugs/AP or Change Router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

darkarn

Regular Contributor
Hi, I will be helping my family recontract our internet services and will be getting a free DIR-868L.

Currently am using the wireless gateway and a spare DIR-655 as the AP, which can cover until right before the first floor's kitchen.

I have two options now: Get more Homeplugs and AP to cover that dead spot, or buy a new router like the 880L and antennae. May I know which method will work better in my use case?

Thanks!

a weak signal area is cured by locating an Access Point somewhat nearby.

All the routers have about the same transmitter power and antenna gain. That's why there's no real substitute for adding an AP for improved coverage and signals strong enough in both directions to get higher speeds each way.

Opinion alert: Getting a D-Link router is just a bit better than getting a fruitcake gift.

a weak signal area is cured by locating an Access Point somewhat nearby.

All the routers have about the same transmitter power and antenna gain. That's why there's no real substitute for adding an AP for improved coverage and signals strong enough in both directions to get higher speeds each way.

Opinion alert: Getting a D-Link router is just a bit better than getting a fruitcake gift.

Ah I see, I thought changing the antenna (if possible) or even a higher-end router will help... Looks like I will need to get the Homeplugs and APs after all...

And yes, it is just too bad my ISP is not giving those ASUS routers, but at least I will have a much better router now (currently using DIR-655) :D

You can fiddle with better antennas on some WiFi routers (that are connectorized). But these just add a few "dB" of gain. Far too few to make a real difference where the weak signal area shortcoming is 10's of dB.

You can fiddle with better antennas on some WiFi routers (that are connectorized). But these just add a few "dB" of gain. Far too few to make a real difference where the weak signal area shortcoming is 10's of dB.

Ah I see... I am considering this option as I need just a few more footsteps of coverage; 1 dB usually means how many meters of coverage, assuming no obstruction?

1dB, 3dB, 5dB: negligible.
the attenuation from your WiFi router to your client device, indoors, at typical inter-room conditions, is 80dB or so. Take that in proportion to a 5dB better antenna. And you have to top that with excess signal strength for the desired data rate to accommodate fades and changes due to movement, etc.

Radio signals decrease with distance per the inverse square law in physics. It's frequency dependent too - higher freq., more loss. This law of physics is why we can communicate with satellites leaving the solar system!

1dB, 3dB, 5dB: negligible.
the attenuation from your WiFi router to your client device, indoors, at typical inter-room conditions, is 80dB or so. Take that in proportion to a 5dB better antenna. And you have to top that with excess signal strength for the desired data rate to accommodate fades and changes due to movement, etc.

Radio signals decrease with distance per the inverse square law in physics. It's frequency dependent too - higher freq., more loss. This law of physics is why we can communicate with satellites leaving the solar system!

Ah I see, now I do see why 5GHz signals are said to be "weaker"... I am thinking about the 9dB antenna though, but seems to me that it is a hit or miss affair that can even kill the router