What's new

More than 3 Guest Networks?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chigden

Occasional Visitor
It looks like the max number of guest networks is 3. Having 3 seems arbitrary and I can't find any documentation or posts that explains the rational. I'm confused since it seems more natural (especially with IoT) that this should be a list of variable length.

Is there a technological reason that I'm missing or is it just an arbitrary number that everybody accepts?

And I'm not asking to overload the router with 10+ networks, but are there any tools or scripts that could remove this limit?

I think it's a luxury to have more than one. However, whatever the number, it needs to be bounded since NVRAM is very limited. Each "virual" guest SSID needs additional settings and could consume over 1K bytes. For example, one of my 2.4 Guests is mapped to interface w10.1. Running the ssh command
Code:
 nvram show | grep w10.1_ | wc -c
So each additional guest SSID would need about the same storage (1242) depending on the SSID and password string sizes. There is actually more overhead not captured by the above grep command. Much of that storage is pre-allocated even if that Guest SSID is never used. Note my nvram usage is - size: 63251 bytes (2285 left). I've only got one 2.4 and one 5 GHz guest.

BTW, its not just three. Its 3 each (2.4 & 5GHz). So up to 6 guest SSIDs.

Last edited:
The total number of guest networks is 6, 3 for 2.4GHz and 3 for 5GHz.

I don't think there's any particular technical reason for that number other than it seems reasonable. You'd have to ask Asus what their design thoughts were. I can't remember anyone else commenting that it was a problem.

Is there a technological reason that I'm missing or is it just an arbitrary number that everybody accepts?

Design considerations from Asus. Each guest network will require reserving a portion of nvram. A lot of models like the RT-AC68U are starting to run out of space for some users. So to waste some of that precious nvram for guest networks than 0.005% of your users might want makes little sense.

And quite frankly, three separate guests should be more than enough for any home user. The competitors typically offer *1* single guest network. If you need more than that, you need to rethink your network architecture.

One for guests, one for IOT and still one spare for dedicated connection for tests or whatever, these for each band, what could a consumer router do more?

I just want to say more ssid you add, higher the overhead and more utilization of channel, which leave less space for data transfer. Do google search ssid overhead calculator it is also good read and it will help you understand how adding more ssid impact it. Keep in mind all ap on channel broadcast and non broadcast of name occupy channel time for beacon. If you add data transfer it quickly add up.

General for each ssid created on channel it add roughly 3.22% overhead. So if you have two and other networks have one each for total of fout networks. Overhead will be 12.90% without user data just for SSID.

Last edited:
I just want to say more ssid you add, higher the overhead and more utilization of channel
By the time I read through
I was thinking three is pretty generous.

And here's instructions for getting a working copy of the Revolution Spreadsheet;

Last edited:
1 is plenty for the average person, and often more than necessary. If you need more than 3+3, picking up another router is an easy, and even more secure, option.

and even more secure, option.

And even higher throughput option, using multiple radios on multiple channels.
Those guests must be royals or something, with personal Guest Network on a personal WiFi channel. :)