What's new

Moving from Tomato by Shibby to AsusWRT-Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

spyder22446688

New Around Here
Question: I am currently running Tomato by Shibby (Firmware 1.28.0000 -138 K26ARM USB AIO-64K) on an Asus RT-AC68W router. I would like to move to AsusWRT-Merlin. Can I upgrade as normal using the "upgrade" tab of the Shibby menu and uploading the Merlin firmware? Or do I first need to use some type of Asus restoration/factory firmware reset?

My thanks for the assistance. My apologies if this topics has already been covered and I simply missed it in the forum (please feel free to flog me as appropriate). And big thanks to both Shibby and Merlin for their fantastic work.

I would do a reset while on Tomato, then use the Asus restoration utility. MAY not be needed. But with the changes in the latest FW I'd rather be safe than sorry. This will work without a doubt. So you eliminate any possible variables.

I moved to RMerlin's some time ago and never looked back. Shibby and the Tomoto guys try their best. There's only so much they can do however.

I would do a reset while on Tomato, then use the Asus restoration utility. MAY not be needed. But with the changes in the latest FW I'd rather be safe than sorry. This will work without a doubt. So you eliminate any possible variables.

I moved to RMerlin's some time ago and never looked back. Shibby and the Tomoto guys try their best. There's only so much they can do however.
Thank you, jsmiddleton4. I appreciate you providing input. I shall proceed with the safe route you advise.

You can flash directly. I just did on AC68U (Tmobile version flashed), from Shibby tomato to ASUSWRT, directly, and chose erase NVRAM. It works.

To be safe, I followed the advice suggested by jsmiddleton4 (factory reset of Tomato --> reboot --> enter recovery mode --> flash to stock Asus firmware using Asus restoration software --> flash to Merlin per normal). Worked flawlessly.

Thank you both for the help.

To be safe, I followed the advice suggested by jsmiddleton4 (factory reset of Tomato --> reboot --> enter recovery mode --> flash to stock Asus firmware using Asus restoration software --> flash to Merlin per normal). Worked flawlessly.

Thank you both for the help.
Glad that works for you. You can expect stronger wifi signal. Shibby version usually has weaker wifi somehow, and I tested on N16, AC68U and Netgear R8000. I like Tomato features, but just cannot live with the wifi coverage.

Glad that works for you. You can expect stronger wifi signal. Shibby version usually has weaker wifi somehow, and I tested on N16, AC68U and Netgear R8000. I like Tomato features, but just cannot live with the wifi coverage.

After just a few minutes of testing, I can already confirm the improved wireless strength, especially on the 5GHz band.

After just a few minutes of testing, I can already confirm the improved wireless strength, especially on the 5GHz band.
Yep it is stronger for sure. I have a 4900 sqft house, and I use Fire TV Stick with Kodi to stream 1080p ISO/mkv in master bedroom at the corner of 2nd floor. So 5G wifi signal is critical to me as 2.4G N does not have enough bandwidth. With Shibby, 5G signal is "marginal" on Fire TV stick at best or completely blind, while with ASUS/Merlin, the 5G single is "fair" with channel 48 or below, and "good" with channel 149 or above. So instead of "Auto", try to manual set a channel with the best result for you.