What's new

multi gig understanding

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chrisbati

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

not sure about the category of my question.
Sorry for the stupid question, but network is not my thing.

I would like to know is there's any value on connecting an ethernet multi gig device (ie 2.5G) on a mutligig router if this device is the only one in the network to be more than 1gig connexion ?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Chris

For now, there is no disadvantage. In true performance terms there may be an incredibly small decrease in latency, but with just the single device this may be so small as to be completely negated by other constraints. Over time we'll probably see a widening gap between the capabilities demanded by enthusiasts and the average consumer.
Bought a TV with an ethernet port recently? Odds are it'll still be 100Mbit.
We'll probably see some increase in wired performance on everyday products, but I'd expect the increases in wired speed to appear less often!
Now WiFi, that's a different bunny to pet!
I have a 2.5Gbps ONT, router, switch, SBCs, and it's once that they are capable, but I don't really see any real-world benefit (yet), and could easily live without that extra speed!

I would like to know is there's any value on connecting an ethernet multi gig device (ie 2.5G) on a mutligig router if this device is the only one in the network to be more than 1gig connexion ?

Depends ... what's the device and what's it being used for?

If you have, say, a NAS or media center that needs to stream out video concurrently to multiple other devices on your network, then this could be very worthwhile: even though no other device can pull more than 1Gbps, the total demand on the NAS could exceed that. Similar comments apply to cases such as multiple devices concurrently backing up to a NAS. Of course, any network infrastructure in between, such as switches, needs to be able to handle the traffic too.

If you don't have a use-case like that, then no you're probably not going to get any benefit.