What's new

My Belkin router and impact on performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dexgreen

New Around Here
Hi all,

My first post !! I have a Belkin Surf N150 150 Mbps 4-Port 10/100 Wireless N Router (F7D1301) router which is a relatively cheap router I have had for a few years now. Speed/performance on my desktop is very important to me. I am upgrading my desktop computer to a 4th generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 processor quad-core[3.4GHz,8MB Shared Cache] with 12 GB DDr3. I will have a very fast internet connection (Comcast Extreme 105).

My understanding is that since my desktop is hardwired into the Belkin router and Motorola Surboard Extreme Cable Modem Docsis 3.0, the router will have no impact on my desktop performance at all since it is hardwired. My understanding is that the router will only impact the laptop that we use as we need wireless for that. That is the only reason I got a wireless router in the first place. Am I correct that I do not need to upgrade my router if all I care about is my desktop and do not care about the speed of the laptop as we do not use it much ?

With thanks,
Derrick

without looking up that router, i'm almost dead certain that thing wont be capable of NATing that kind of bandwidth. You'll definitely need to upgrade the router.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/bar/74-wan-to-lan

Your understanding is wrong.

Your present router will severely limit your online (routing) experience, wired or wireless.

The link included shows an N300 class Belkin vs the over two years old RT-N66U. Over 5x the wired (routing) performance over the Belkin model that is probably very much above yours even; due to it's GB WAN and LAN ports. Your model seems to be only Fast Ethernet (10/100).

I would be looking for a new router to fully utilize the ISP speeds you'll be paying for when you upgrade - even wired, you may not be getting the performance from your current hardware that you're paying for now.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!